1x12 Two-Channel Combos

scottlaned

• Members

I play strictly with 1x12 combos now. I like portability and simplicity. I current own a Groove Tubes Soul-O 45 amp, with a Tone Tubby Alnico Hempcone in it. I run an analogman and a keeley 808 through it, and it sounds like the balls. The clean and od sound is the best I've ever gotten with an amp. Problem is, I'm tired of bringing a pedalboard (since it's a single channel amp with very little gain) and I am looking to sell it.

I like my gain natural, not very heavy, but with asstons of sustain. My favorite drive tone comes from Jimmy Herring. I've been recommended to a Bogner shiva, an Orange Rockerverb 50 combo (which is 212), and a Rivera Quiana (sp?). I've owned a Mesa F30, a Fender Supersonic (which I loved in principal but was just too poorly built so I sold it), Fender Deville 212, Peavey Classic 30, and a couple more that escape me. I'm not a fan of PCB, but will consider some pcb amps (ie the shiva).

What recommendations do you fellas have for a great 112 amp that will keep me happy with great fender like cleans and great smooth overdrive? The Shiva's just a -littttle- too expensive for my tastes, I'm looking for something around $1000 or below used. Won't do the Orange or the Rivera (they're 212s). I want portability.

Thanks,

Scott

• Members

Also another question:

What would seem to be the best amp to suit my needs on paper, The Lonestar 1x12 Classic, I plugged into a year ago and the 2nd channel sounded like muddy asshole. Anyone have any experience with the 1x12 combo version? I spoke to Sean at Boogie (I used to sell Boogies for a company) and he said it was because the single speaker version didn't accept the sound very well. He said that was the case with a number of their amps. I'm wondering if this new Lonestar Classic they've put out in the past year or so is any better with that?

Does anyone have any experience with the 1x12?

• Members

I have a peavey bravo 112 its a tube amp 2 channel 85 watts I love it I use it as a power amp. I plug in my rack system in the input and use the clean channel so that I can use the eq if I need to or if I need more volume. It has great dis. and clean just no real effects except the reverb it does have a effects loop but I never can get it to work..lol But I do like my mp1 sound going through it

• Members

maybe a mesa mark IV combo?

what didn't you like about the f30?

The overdrive wasn't able to cut through in the slightest live situation, even during band practice. I retubed with JJs, no help. The problem was that it was a 30 watt amp running off 2 EL84s. 30 watts should ideally run off 4 EL84s, so it wasn't able to push enough. 30 watts is usually perfect for my live situations.

• Members

i really think you should try a mark IV, the mark series are higher wattage amps but they can get pretty loud and cutting even when switched into lower watt modes

The Mark IV in Tweed/Class A mode will do killer Warren Haynes tones if you've got the lead channel dialed in right. Seriously. Tweed/Class A is way too mushy for the heavy stuff at band volumes (believe me, I tried, as the lead tone is phenominal set up like that!) but it'll do smooth rock tones wonderfully. Plus you've got triode/pentode options for knocking the volume down even further, and you can run EL34s in the outer sockets along with 6L6s in Simul-Class mode. With EL34s in the outer sockets, it's running on just the EL34s when you're in Class A.

R2 does a nice mid-gain overdrive- it can get Marshally if you want- and the cleans in R1 are some of the nicest you'll hear from a high gain amp, the Shiva being the only exception. (I can play metal all day long on the Shiva, so as far as I'm concerned, it's high gain. :p)

• Members

Hi, I just picked up a Zinky Blue Velvet 50 watt amp for $900. I would definitely check that out as well as the new Rivera Doce amp which sells for $1000 new. I also like the Traynor YCV 50, and Peavey Classic 30.

• Members

the overdrive is pretty cool on the Twintone. I've only had it two weeks, but I've been able to dial up plexi tones to all out distortion. It's the only combo I've ever found that can hang with my JCM 800 #2210 in lead tones- this is the first time my lead tone DOESN"T require the gain knob to be full on. I put a Rt 66 overdrive/comp in front of it and I can get great bluesy breakup sounds and country cleans. The cleans aren't quite as pristine as a boogie, but I like them. This amp replaced a soldano/yamaha T100C................

And it's LOUD. the rhythm/solo feature is cool for knocking the volume down to a "in the house with the kids asleep" practice level, and I think it'll be cool in a gigging situation where it's set a lot higher so I can get just a slight bump in volume for solo stuff.

The Twintone II that's available now I think has another drive setting that's accessible via footswitch. I've got the original first edition that doesn't have it but there are some good reviews on HC

• Members

Go with the Riveras for under a grand. They make plenty of 1-12 two channel amps and they are all pretty darned good.

At one point I've almost gone with a Rivera Chubster, just to test it out. I would really like to know a bit more about them. They have the Clubster and the Pubster too? What is the difference in tonal qualities and wattages of these three amps? I've heard that they get a little mushy and loose, but I've never actually heard one.

Archived