Tony Iommi sig pickups: Worth it?

mrelusive

• Members

what would be a good solid guitar to put these in? am i better off stickin with the whole Iommi sig guitar or can i get any G400 and toss em in? Is there a better-constructed guitar to put these in, like maybe a faded sg special or somethin?

I played an Iommi G-400 and thought it was pretty nice. Though when I bought a set of pups for myself, they went into my Les Paul Custom. As expected, the tone just got meatier from the extra 8 or so pounds of wood. What kind of guitar do you intend on putting them in?

Here's what they look like in my Les Paul.

LPC1.jpg

• Members

If you use the neck pup often, then you might like it up there. I don't use the neck pup all that much, but I like to use the middle setting for the neat tone it gives me. Plus, in the middle setting, it gives pinch harmonics a real nasty edge, in a good way, and they are totally effortless to come by.

I played an Iommi G-400 and thought it was pretty nice. Though when I bought a set of pups for myself, they went into my Les Paul Custom. As expected, the tone just got meatier from the extra 8 or so pounds of wood. What kind of guitar do you intend on putting them in?

Well, i've wanted an unfinished, natural wood SG for the longest time. I just like the way those look all dull and grainy, plus all the dings i'm gona put in it won't show up as much. So i mean, i could buy a faded SG special... but TONE and solid construction are more important than looks. I want a workhorse guitar that's gonna last me a good long while and sound great. that's my only qualm about buying the epiphone iommi... is it well-constructed or should i spend an extra few hundred and get somethin better? then again, if i'm gonna spend the extra cash, should i just find a GIBSON iommi on ebay or somethin?

• Members

Well, i've wanted an unfinished, natural wood SG for the longest time. I just like the way those look all dull and grainy, plus all the dings i'm gona put in it won't show up as much. So i mean, i could buy a faded SG special... but TONE and solid construction are more important than looks. I want a workhorse guitar that's gonna last me a good long while and sound great. that's my only qualm about buying the epiphone iommi... is it well-constructed or should i spend an extra few hundred and get somethin better? then again, if i'm gonna spend the extra cash, should i just find a GIBSON iommi on ebay or somethin?

A Gibson Iommi SG will probably fetch a pretty penny. It might be worth it to get one of the SG fadeds and load it up with some Iommis. Personally, I think the faded SGs are pretty damn well-built guitars, especially for the money. One of the brown SG fadeds, with blacked-out hardware would look really sweet. :thu:

I have ordered a chrome set for my LPC to match all the hardware, so I may be willing to part with my black-chrome pair at some point.

• Members

A Gibson Iommi SG will probably fetch a pretty penny. It might be worth it to get one of the SG fadeds and load it up with some Iommis. Personally, I think the faded SGs are pretty damn well-built guitars, especially for the money. One of the brown SG fadeds, with blacked-out hardware would look really sweet.
:thu:

I have ordered a chrome set for my LPC to match all the hardware, so I may be willing to part with my black-chrome pair at some point.

hmmm.... the hardware would be compatible and all that? how much would a full replacement hardware set cost if i bought it outright?

• Members

the main guitar he used was always a Strat with ust about the whole rainbow of Lace Sensors in it, i want to say he had a Blue in the bridge.

but on the record he did have things like a bunch of amps and a bunch of fuzz pedals.

actually he used the red lace sensors (highest output, i believe?) on his main.

• Members

Figure that Musiciansfriend and I *think* GC is selling the SG fadeds for a touch under $600, then depending on who you get the rest of the stuff from (bridge, tail, tuners) it might be around $200 or so. It might seem like a lot of cash just to spend on looks, but I personally like to be different. I'm a geek though. :)

• Members

I played an Iommi signature model the other day (granted it was the epiphone, not the expensive one) and LOVED the tone... I need a new axe and thought about just buying a solid SG, like a $600 faded sg or something, and tossing some Iommi pickups in there.

Would i be better off with somethin else? are there different pickups in the epiphones that the 2 grand versions?

I wouldn't think so.

Archived