Tell me about..Avenger 100

v_c

• Members

Any fans or opinions?

I've seen one cheap, but the no f/x loop thing is a BIG problem for me...can it be modded to have one by a half-decent amp tech? Or do you guys who own one (without effects loop) not find it such a big issue?

• Members

Any fans or opinions?

I've seen one cheap, but the no f/x loop thing is a BIG problem for me...can it be modded to have one by a half-decent amp tech? Or do you guys who own one (without effects loop) not find it such a big issue?

to answer your questions, i beleave you can get a loop added to an Avenger buy Soldano themselves, but it's quite a significant job. I wouldn't let anybody else have ago. I personally dont use any FX so i dont miss the loop at all.

Dom

• Members

to answer your questions, i beleave you can get a loop added to an Avenger buy Soldano themselves, but it's quite a significant job. I wouldn't let anybody else have ago. I personally dont use any FX so i dont miss the loop at all.

Dom

Nope, I had a cheap serial effex loop put in my Avenger for 60 bucks. Worked fine with minimal signal loss. Minimal. And was a simple install for him. The guy said if I wanted a parallel, tube buffered loop, it would be at least 200 bucks. Any competent amp tech should be able to do it. Competent is the key word here.

• Members

Soldano actually offers the Avenger with an effects loop installed. If you're buying used and you need a loop, you can send it back to them and they'll put one in for you. I don't know what the cost is, but you can contact them for that.

Whether you need an effects loop or not depends on you. The only thing I use regularly is a drive pedal, so it's not that necessary for me. If you use a lot of effects and always use an external EQ, you'll need one. I've owned and played a number of amps and I really like this one. Even with the gain fairly high, it has a big open sound. Much less compression than most modern high gain amps. I will say that if you're use to an amp that has more compression to it, you'll notice mistakes much quicker with this amp. For the price, I don't think there's a better amp.

• Members
but it's quite a significant job. I wouldn't let anybody else have ago.

That pretty much decides it for me. My local tech is okay..ish, but not great. I wouldnt trust him to do anything half-complicated..

Sending it to Soldano isnt an option, different continent unfortunately.

That's a pity, it was a used one at a very good price. :mad:

• Members

I have one of the new Avengers with an effects loop and it sounds awesome. There really isnt much tone difference between the ones with & without a loop. Soldano no longer uses Mercury Magnetic transformers(neither does Bogner and others...). Their new transformers are made to Soldano's specifications and I think they make the newer Avengers a little more "aggressive" and "edgy" sounding compared to the Mercury Magnetic Avengers. I also have one of the older Avengers(have owned 2 others as well) and they tend to be a little "smoother" sounding than the newer ones.

I love Soldano and my favorite amp right now are Avengers.... I have owned around 8 different SLO's over the past 3 years and I like the Avenger's tone much better. Also, I use a standard Bogner 4x12 with an "X" pattern vintage 30's and GT12-75's and I love the tone. Soldano's sound great with GT12-75's...... I Also have a new Soldano 4x12 for a different flavor. Avengers are just a great amp and a great price!!!:thu:

Bryan

• Members
I have one of the new Avengers with an effects loop and it sounds awesome. There really isnt much tone difference between the ones with & without a loop. Soldano no longer uses Mercury Magnetic transformers(neither does Bogner and others...). Their new transformers are made to Soldano's specifications and I think they make the newer Avengers a little more "aggressive" and "edgy" sounding compared to the Mercury Magnetic Avengers. I also have one of the older Avengers(have owned 2 others as well) and they tend to be a little "smoother" sounding than the newer ones.

I love Soldano and my favorite amp right now are Avengers.... I have owned around 8 different SLO's over the past 3 years and I like the Avenger's tone much better. Also, I use a standard Bogner 4x12 with an "X" pattern vintage 30's and GT12-75's and I love the tone. Soldano's sound great with GT12-75's...... I Also have a new Soldano 4x12 for a different flavor. Avengers are just a great amp and a great price!!!
:thu:

Bryan

So the newer ones have the all black framus type grill in front?

Archived