what do you guys think about modeling amps? line 6 in particular?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I have a HD147 half stack and a Fender Hotrod Deville. The HD147 is great for shredding but I never can get a satisfactory clean sound from it. Its a great loud amp though that cuts through anything.when I use any digital effect pedals though I get disappointed. The sound gets way too colored. I have better luck using the many built in effects and the line 6 floorboard. The Hotrod Deville on the other hand has that great clean sound that I was always looking for from fender. I like to play hard rock and blues . The HD for rock and the Hotrod for blues or blues rock.What I'm thinking these days though after playing a good tube amp is that I would like to get a decent tube half stack to replace the line 6.

• Members

Hey guys what's up? Just wanted to see what the general concensous was on line 6 modeling amps. I play an older line 6 flextone II head on a line 6 4X12 cab that I bought from guitar center like 7 years ago. I still have it and i think it's pretty kool. I get a good range of sounds and it covers everything I would never need to use. I play mostly heavy music though and don't really use many effects pedels so the on board effects are tight too. To me it seems like a good all around and it served me well playing shows.

I also have a VOX AD30VT that I bought to take with me to college so I could have an all around amp that did everything for me and that would be smaller then a half stack. You know...something that would fit in a dorm room.

Anyways I was just curious what you guys thought of those amps? I've never owned my own tube amp and have only rarely played them at guitat center but have never cranked one out to see what they can do.

Should I start looking for an all tube amp? If so do you guys think the valve jr. stack would be a good introductory tube amp? Any opinions, info, or comments are appreciated. Thanks guys!

You at UCR?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Line 6 did a amazing job, and for it's price, it can't be beaten... i look forward to their new gear coming in november i believe.

I can't beat a real amp.. well, recorded it can beat a tube amp, but it all depends how that amp is recorded.

Let's just say i have heard more decent clips coming from line 6 gear, then tube amp clips from people who record at home.

• Members

Too easy-
ask the guy that has some cash and the other that has budgets less than the guy that can afford the Valve amps.

I've heard many SLO's, Marshalls, Mesa's and NONE of them ever sound like modeled preamps. The Axe FX is closer, but still nothing like the amp.

Most have gains the original amp is not ever capable of. But they have teH BroOtalZ.

I use them yes. I like them for what they do. Not for realistic recordings or gigs as much.

What they are great for? Saving money on Electric Bill.

Archived