Framus Cobra does support 6L6/5881 and 6550/KT88 tubes

ericwylde

• Members

that's what he said
:idk:

you can e-mail them again

I tried, the personal addy doesn't work now, but I sent the email to the framus support addy. I'm assuming that even with all the extensive modding you've done, you've not tried this theory out on your Cobra eh?

-A-

• Members

So if I'm reading this correctly...I can stick a quad of 6550s in my Cobra, bias it up and Go, without ANY internal modification and teh transformers can handle it, no problem, right?

-Ans-

I dunno about this info man...

I'd be careful here.

Framus/Warwick's support is well...you can read.

• Members

I tried, the personal addy doesn't work now, but I sent the email to the framus support addy. I'm assuming that even with all the extensive modding you've done, you've not tried this theory out on your Cobra eh?

-A-

I started liking el34's :lol:

actually, I still have the 5 years old stock tubes

one pair started to redplate about 8 months ago, so I'm running 50 watt only

• Members

I asked this from London Power and here's what they answered:

If this is a fixed-bias amp with adjustable bias then it is safe to make tube swaps. You should check that the new tube is idling at a safe current for its type.

• Members

tell ya what...ask framus what the MAX grid to bias resistor value is for a KT88, and then ask them what their grid to bias resistor value is.

i'll save you the wait....cobras have 220K? g-b resistors, and the absolute MAX g-b resistor you can use with a KT88 is 100k?.

• Members

What about 6550's? And why is this?

i'd have to look at the specs, but i imagine they're pretty similar.

as for why, i'm not going into it here because i don't feel like typing that much. that information IS readily available on the web, though.:thu:

• Members

tell ya what...ask framus what the MAX grid to bias resistor value is for a KT88, and then ask them what their grid to bias resistor value is.

i'll save you the wait....cobras have 220K? g-b resistors, and the absolute MAX g-b resistor you can use with a KT88 is 100k?.

a lot of old Marshalls had 150k :idk:

the Ibanez Thermion has 220k

the board layout of the Cobra makes this a pretty easy resistor swap, anyway

I lost interested on trying this cause I already have a lot of trouble trying to tame the excessive punch of the Cobra

I guess 6550's would be overkill... and I don't think my building structure could handle that :lol:

• Members

Not to start an argument here, but here's a second opinion from London Power:

The tube manufacturer's spec for grid circuit resistance is 100k for fixed-bias with a 6550. However, most amp manufacturers are not even aware of this spec - unless they read the appendix in our books - and design all their amps with 220k grid-leaks. For most tubes this is fine.

If you change to 100k, there will be a slight roll-off of bass. This is often found to be an improvement. If you wish to retain the stock frequency response, bump the coupling caps from the driver tube by a factor of 2.2 to keep the time constant the same. There will also be a slight reduction in gain from the driver tube using 100k grid-leaks for the output tubes instead of 220k.

Archived