who here prefers solid state over tube?

outforblood

• Members

I am sick and tired of hearing how great tube amps are, I am perfectly content with my randall rh200. anyone here agree to disagree?(or vise versa):blah:

my current gear: esp viper 400>

rocktron metal planet>

mxr m-109>

dano fab chorus(don't laugh!)

ibanez de-7>

randall rh200 w/ matching 4x12 cab

yes, I play in a metal band.

www.myspace.com/sevenyearsoftribulation

no mp3's yet :cry:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Glad you like your amp.

I like solid state for my personal practice. I don't turn it up very loud, and focus on making chords, scale patterns and other exercises.

However...my smallish SS amps won;t hold up when it's time to bring the pain. Not necessarily their fault....I get the right tool for the job.

85 watts of vintage Fender tube power.

• Members

> who here prefers solid state over tube?

SS all the way! My left arm still hurts from all those years I stuck with that "vintage" tube wristwatch.

Seriously, though, I agree with 17 Tubes - I only really use my SS amp at home, which is all the time these days. My tube amp just doesn't very good at really low levels. Maybe one of those attenuators or some less-sensitive speakers would help, but then you're talking practice-amp money...

• Members

Disagree. I used to swear tubes were bull{censored} when I first started. Till I tried tubes... I know Randall SS is pretty good though.

My 1st experiment: Guitar -> KittyHawk Quatro preamp split into -> 500 watt SS & 60 watt TUBE poweramps -> these back into a split 4x12..... HUGE difference, especially when cranked. :eek:

I am sick and tired of hearing how great tube amps are, I am perfectly content with my randall rh200. anyone here agree to disagree?(or vise versa)

• Members

well for high gain, tubes help a fair amount but theyre not the end all be all deciding factor. for mid gain and glistening cleans, i wouldnt play a solid state amp for a million bucks. wait i take that back, i would play it but then id use that million dollars to buy a tube amp :D

• Members

SS amps only do perfectly clean or super high gain with any shred of successs IMO. Getting a decent blues tone out of a solid state amp would be quite the feat.

100% bull{censored} :rolleyes:

watch this:

this is not only 'decent' blues tone, but {censored}ing badass!

... and the amp is DIGITAL. booyah.

• Members
Disagree. I used to swear tubes were bull{censored} when I first started. Till I tried tubes... I know Randall SS is pretty good though.

My 1st experiment: Guitar -> KittyHawk Quatro preamp split into -> 500 watt SS & 60 watt TUBE poweramps -> these back into a split 4x12..... HUGE difference, especially when cranked.
:eek:

Well...that's the thing Cap. It just depends. Like I said above...if I am just rehearsing/practice....a SS amp does perfectly fine.

Sometimes we act like we can't be a good guitarist if we don't have a tube amp.

• Members

Well...that's the thing Cap. It just depends. Like I said above...if I am just rehearsing/practice....a SS amp does perfectly fine.

Sometimes we act like we can't be a good guitarist if we don't have a tube amp.

Yup, Im not above SS. I dont really feel like cooking tubes whilst messin off. :cry: Tubes are more about performance levels to me.

I use a little Kustom 8" to practice. But I need a little more versatility in that realm so i gotta figure out something there. :cool:

• Members
100% bull{censored}
:rolleyes:

watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iedRF4p88M

this is not only 'decent' blues tone, but {censored}ing badass!

... and the amp is DIGITAL.
booyah.

The dude's an OK player, an OK player has a high chance of sounding "acceptable" on most amps. Still, taking the camera mic into consideration, I don't think that was a very nice blues tone, kinda un-dynamic, flat and papery. He would sound a lot better if he was using valves. :lol:

• Members

SS amps only do perfectly clean or super high gain with any shred of successs IMO. Getting a decent blues tone out of a solid state amp would be quite the feat.

you should check this s.s. combo amp out:

5f55_12.JPG

i bought this amp at a yard sale for $50. it's my favorite guitar amp.:thu: the reverb's not very good, but the tremolo is amazing and i can illicit some great tones out of the thing.

Archived