Peavey Windsor....?

kadrocker

• Members

Anyone try this amp?

It's described as: "The Windsor Tube Amp Head employs three 12AX7 preamp tubes and four EL34 power-amp tubes in a single-channel configuration to deliver the sound of rock's golden era with exclusive Peavey technology and reliability"

Golden era as in early rock 'n' roll? Or stuff like classic rock?

Gimme an idea of how dirty this amp can get? Not looking for major high gain, just looking a tone close to something like Buckcherry meets Guns N Roses.

I LOVE Buckcherry's tone on their first album, and Appetite For Destruction's tone just rules!

Looking to see if the Windsor would work for this kind of rock....although I'm kinda bummed it's only one channel, so no cleans, hmmmm....

• Members

Anyone try this amp?

It's described as: "The Windsor Tube Amp Head employs three 12AX7 preamp tubes and four EL34 power-amp tubes in a single-channel configuration to deliver the sound of rock's golden era with exclusive Peavey technology and reliability"

Golden era as in early rock 'n' roll? Or stuff like classic rock?

Gimme an idea of how dirty this amp can get? Not looking for major high gain, just looking a tone close to something like Buckcherry meets Guns N Roses.

I LOVE Buckcherry's tone on their first album, and Appetite For Destruction's tone just rules!

Looking to see if the Windsor would work for this kind of rock....although I'm kinda bummed it's only one channel, so no cleans, hmmmm....

Its supposed to be JCM-800ish, maybe a bit Plexi-ish and of course you can tell its still a Peavey. Still, with a tube swap and a non-Peavey cabinet it might do the trick if you're on a budget. No clean might be a bummer, but that's why you need to learn to use your volume knob...assuming of course that the Windsor will clean up...

Oh and its supposed to have a fair amount of gain actually, probably a bit in excess of what you're talking about.

• Members

I think it sounds good with a good cab. The matching cab is probably the worst cab I've heard in my life.

But it literally doesn't do anything other than that hot rotted JCM800 sort of deal. Single coils will still make it break up with the gain super low, and it sounds gross when it distorts with anything but the higher gain sort of stuff it's intended for.

• Members

The Windsor was made on the other side of the Neutral Zone in the Desert next to a Shack that the Epiphone SoCal head was made.

The Windsor's Big Brother the Penta Head was much better and much more money.

The Laney AOR's are Worth any price any day(Within Reason).

• Members

I have a Classic 50 and have played the Windsor a lot in music stores. It's a British type amp for sure but I don't know about JCM800ish. I think it has more gain on tap than an 800 and when used with a real Marshall cab(1960)sounds pretty damned good to me. It's just that "Made in China"/long term reliability thing that bugs me! On the other hand, the Classic 50 can get pretty British sounding and it's a '91 model that keeps on ticking!:)

• Members

I've been thinking about a Windsor too...but specifically the studio combo that supposedly will be coming out. I intend to sell my JSX and get a MarkIV in January, but seeing as I will likely want to play something "british" sounding occasionally, I though that the Windsor might do the trick without causing me to hemorrhage money after already getting the Boogie...the combo has the same power soak and speaker-emulated direct out as the Mini Colossal, so it might be pretty cool...but then again it has a blue marvel which sounds like total {censored}, so trying one out stock might sell it a bit short.

Archived