• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Another Ceriatone lover here
:love:

my 5E3 (moded)
clip

5E3.jpg

and my new BF_Champ (moded, currently working on switchable bias for 6V6 - 6L6 option
;)
) -
clip

BF_Champ.jpg

In general these amps sound so sweet I'm seriously considering selling my DRRI (which I love BTW) and get something else from Nik.
:freak:

PS: The clips I posted... you will find those on Ceriatone Sound Clips page as well.
:cool:

:thu:

Hey, good looking amps. Did you do the building yourself? Other than populating PtoP boards my favorite part of building is doing the cabs. I haven't built any bare cabs in quite a while but I have some nice old Japanese Zelkova waiting for a future Wreck build.

• Members
Hey, good looking amps. Did you do the building yourself? Other than populating PtoP boards my favorite part of building is doing the cabs. I haven't built any bare cabs in quite a while but I have some nice old Japanese Zelkova waiting for a future Wreck build.

Thanks,

I had a lot of help from my bass player. He is the wood guy not me, I was just fetching and holding stuff and provided the design of course.

;)

• Members
Very nice. It's the tweaked PI values I'm interested in...wink, wink, nudge,nudge. Weren't you also doing an 18 wreck?

I'll have to take a look. I know that the plate resistors are now 270K as opposed to the stock 470K (?) - I'll have to take a look at the rest.

A huge change was going to the smaller coupling cap in front of the tone stack, and bigger caps after that. It seemed to really help the "boomy" low end that some people (including me) complained about.

I was exploring the possibility of doing an 18 watt 'wreck. I'm still looking at it - I haven't drawn up the schemo, but that was a fun discussion nonetheless. It was really interesting seeing the opnions of people like ZPhil and Dartanion.

• Members
I'll have to take a look. I know that the plate resistors are now 270K as opposed to the stock 470K (?) - I'll have to take a look at the rest.

A huge change was going to the smaller coupling cap in front of the tone stack, and bigger caps after that. It seemed to really help the "boomy" low end that some people (including me) complained about.

I was exploring the possibility of doing an 18 watt 'wreck. I'm still looking at it - I haven't drawn up the schemo, but that was a fun discussion nonetheless. It was really interesting seeing the opnions of people like ZPhil and Dartanion.

Thanks man, I've done most of those mods and have settled on similar values (for this week...lol). I am also building my cabs for the 18watts "thinner" without the depth and that helps with boominess while not robbing too much magic of the amp in it's typical component values. I :love: tweaking these living, breathing tone mini-monsters.

• Members
alright, for those who wanted to hear the ceriatone trainwreck...there was that guy who compared it to a real TW a while back, and I finally found the MP3's.

download

to be honest, I actually like the ceriatone a tad more because it has more crunch. some people might like the smoother sound of the real TW though.

really close in tone.

What is the difference between the 4 clips? Like, what guitars, cabs, etc?

• Members
Well, the clips that say "LP" in them are a 1959 LP (
:eek:
) and the others are a strat of some sort.

as far as i can remember the guy said both were going through greenback loaded marshall cabs, mic'd with SM57's.

Interesting. I figured that out about the guitars a bit later. It was late.

Anyway, I do find the original TW much more musical but the Ceriatone was pretty darned close.

• Members
mm thanks but when i was listening to the clips modded plexis had better sound to my ears
:p

yeah, i like plexis better as well. I didnt' realize you were talking about modding. If you're going to get into the world of modding then depending on what sort of mod you do, the plexi would have way more gain than a stock JCM.