Official Ceriatone Club

Kitarist

• Members
What's a trainwreck? I googled it and a few things came up about them being highly coveted, but I only heard crappy youtube clips that have them sounding no better than any other good tube amp. Is there another source of good quality recordings that can let me know what's so special about them and the type of features they have??

Go to the Komet website. They've got a clip of a real Trainwreck and their own Trainwreck-based amps.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Id like to bump this thread and see if anyone can answer this question, ive been wondering the same thing.

Thanks.

On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is dirt cheap, crap components and 10 being the ultimate in boutique and specialty parts I would say Ceriatone is a solid 7~8. So you are getting a well built, meticulously handwired amp. But as all amp builders will attest there is a lot of mojo and magic between an "8" and "10". But mojo is subjective. I think Ceriatone amps (even the completed chassis) are for builders and tweakers where you have a really great platform to experiment with all the NOS and high end components to find your sound. My amps are always on my workbench getting the latest tweak or mod. My 18TMB is only but an echo of the amp I ordered a few years ago.

I punched a chassis ONCE myself and vowed I would never do it again.

• Members

alright, for those who wanted to hear the ceriatone trainwreck...there was that guy who compared it to a real TW a while back, and I finally found the MP3's.

download

to be honest, I actually like the ceriatone a tad more because it has more crunch. some people might like the smoother sound of the real TW though.

really close in tone.

• Members
On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is dirt cheap, crap components and 10 being the ultimate in boutique and specialty parts I would say Ceriatone is a solid 7~8. So you are getting a well built, meticulously handwired amp. But as all amp builders will attest there is a lot of mojo and magic between an "8" and "10". But mojo is subjective. I think Ceriatone amps (even the completed chassis) are for builders and tweakers where you have a really great platform to experiment with all the NOS and high end components to find your sound. My amps are always on my workbench getting the latest tweak or mod. My 18TMB is only but an echo of the amp I ordered a few years ago.

I punched a chassis ONCE myself and vowed I would never do it again.

Very, very true. The only part that Ceriatone uses that I wouldn't is carbon comp resistors - noisy little bastards. I know that it's part of the "mojo" of the amp, but it also raises your noise floor and gives you the frying bacon sounds that everyone loves.

My 18W TMB has been reworked a couple of times, and the preamp is entirely different now. The PI has been reworked - basically all that's original is the chassis, tube sockets, switches, transformers, pots, and power section/filtering.

• Members

Kitarist, Hey I'm in.

I think a lot of folks might be biting off a bit too much buying a DC-30 or ODS with no amp building/tweaking experience and no tech support when something goes wrong. A tech/discussion forum is a great idea. Make it happen and I will be there. Let me know if I can help.

PM is candhh@yahoo.com

• Members
Very, very true. The only part that Ceriatone uses that I wouldn't is carbon comp resistors - noisy little bastards. I know that it's part of the "mojo" of the amp, but it also raises your noise floor and gives you the frying bacon sounds that everyone loves.

My 18W TMB has been reworked a couple of times, and the preamp is entirely different now. The PI has been reworked - basically all that's original is the chassis, tube sockets, switches, transformers, pots, and power section/filtering.

Hey Weathered,

Are you Hiwattage over on the 18watt forums?? If so, what did you finally end up doing with the TMB?

• Members

I asked Nik about the possibility of getting him to build a Plexi 50 with Power Scaling built in. Also I asked about when he is goinna release the SLO clone and this is what he said:

Thanks for the email. We are indeed planning to install the PS but currently, I am not able to do it since we are barely coping with the orders. When the time comes, I will do it. We do need to plan it out for ease of installation into our existing amps. As for the SLO, thats in the works as well but we have several amps to release in the very near future. For the Plexi50, we usually install PPIMV, as well as 1/2 power.

• Members

Another Ceriatone lover here :love:

my 5E3 (moded) clip
5E3.jpg

and my new BF_Champ (moded, currently working on switchable bias for 6V6 - 6L6 option ;) ) - clip
BF_Champ.jpg

In general these amps sound so sweet I'm seriously considering selling my DRRI (which I love BTW) and get something else from Nik. :freak:

PS: The clips I posted... you will find those on Ceriatone Sound Clips page as well. :cool:

:thu:

• Members
Hey Weathered,

Are you Hiwattage over on the 18watt forums?? If so, what did you finally end up doing with the TMB?

That is me over there. :D

I ended up matching the tone stack values with a Matchless Lightning, changed the bass pot to a 1 meg, and tweaked the PI. It's a really cool amp - when you back off on the volume, the treble stays and the mids and lows back down. It's a cool "magic trick" - now if I could figure out what makes it do that. ;)

• Members
That is me over there.
:D

I ended up matching the tone stack values with a Matchless Lightning, changed the bass pot to a 1 meg, and tweaked the PI. It's a really cool amp - when you back off on the volume, the treble stays and the mids and lows back down. It's a cool "magic trick" - now if I could figure out what makes it do that.
;)

Very nice. It's the tweaked PI values I'm interested in...wink, wink, nudge,nudge. Weren't you also doing an 18 wreck?