Mesa Dual Rectifier settings

azmyth

• Members

I most certainly do have one.

I'm not up on the terms.. I just "play".

I know the names of the knobs and what they do. I don't know fancy smancy terms. gain, prescence, volume, bass, mid, treble...

now your talking.

• Members

Why is it that every 10 days another thread pops up asking for Dual Rectifier settings?

-Would getting someone else's setting actually help? Different guitar, different technique, cables, FX, etc

-Is it the Dual Rectifier or the numerous people seeking settings that are lame?

-Can anybody seriously think they can get the exact sound they hear on their favorite record, at home, with some magical settings?

Just curious...

• Members

nope, but when you don't know how to use something.. one of the best ways to learn how to do something is to mimic how someone else does it.

like drawing for example.. fairly sure they didn't all come out drawing a certain way to begin with.

I've seen plenty of amazing bands that use no fx.. just the rectifier.. I know it is capable of some magical settings.. apparently noone but those amazing bands I saw knows what they are.. maybe I should just ask them.

• Members

Why is it that every 10 days another thread pops up asking for Dual Rectifier settings?

-Would getting someone else's setting actually help? Different guitar, different technique, cables, FX, etc

-Is it the Dual Rectifier or the numerous people seeking settings that are lame?

-Can anybody seriously think they can get the exact sound they hear on their favorite record, at home, with some magical settings?

Just curious...

I dont think it is anything out of the ordinary for people to want to sound like someone or a band that they like. I believe we get the basis for our very own tones that we like from other players and bands. We listen to a broad variety of tones and music and begin to develop an ear for what we do and do not like. The OP likes the tone that Thrice gets, it isnt impractical for him to want to get that tone. No there are no magical settings to make you sound like band x or band y but you can get pretty damn close. I think people need to focus on live tones more so than recorded tones because that is a bit more realistic IMO. There are so many factors that go in recording that it is pretty damn near impossible to sound exactly like any one band or tone.

• Members

I have and use a Triple Rec. Live (and I only use it live or at band rehearsal) I use:

Vintage Orange: (Clock-wise)

Gain: 2:00

Presence: 1:00

Treble: 2:00

Bass: 1:00

Mid: 11:30

BOLD/Silicon

Modern Red

Gain: 2:00

Presence:11:00

Treble: 12:30

Mid: 12:00

Bass: 12:00

I don't think there's anything magic about the settings, but I don't believe you need to turn the midrange up to 3:00 to get the amp to sound good. The amp needs VOLUME and a band mix to sit in, and that's where they sound like all the tones we hear from all the bands who use them.

• Members

Thrice used them for such a short time, and even then i think they only used them live for a stint. i know on Artist Teppei used one to record some parts, but he also used a JCM800 and a Bogner Uberschall and dustin used his JCM800.

The Flat EQ idea is probably the best guess.

• Members

God forbid someone would want to play along with their favorite tune and want their tone to sound similiar...

One must let their ears be the judge.

Set the EQs at zero and adjust to taste...simple.

Studio albums are so processed that it is a tall order to get one's amp to sound like the album in your room or practice studio. All you can do is get it close.

• Members

who said anything about recording or albums?

I'm talking about live sound.

the way the amp is actually set when plays live. I know some bands use lots of effects on top of the amp, but some don't. I am one of those people who pay more attention to the gear at a show than the band.. thought there might be like minded people.

• Members

Because they suck so badly no one can dial them in?
:o

Try and dial the mud out.
:idea:

You say you suck so badly you can't dial one in? :lol: Actually about 4 out of 5 I have heard were pretty bad, but I have heard a few live that killed. I asked one guy if he had it modded and he said no but that he only liked it with his PRS and that sounded phenomenal.

Archived