Preamp tubes

primeholy

• Members

Just so we are clear - the emoticon meant I was messing around.....Should I have been? Probably not - but I did it anyways.....couldnt resist....

Although I have had a power tube basically melt and kill the sound during a gig - what caused that?

• Members

Unless the tube has an open filament it will always glow

at the top and bottom of the plate.

The tube can be shorted and still light.

You guys really need to use your google.com search

and learn.

I was considering this forum kinda my google search as I understand that there are some knowledgable peeps on here and some like to show their knowledge and some like to :poke: . I am also doing some searching on the internet just I have been at work all day and this was my outlet while I couldnt surf. Thanks for your response.

:thu:

• Members

Oh really? What happends when your preamp tube

has a bad cathode? A short? An open filament?

Squeeling/microphonics is in every tube,

it's the amplifier circuit that brings it out,

along with speaker vibration.

Eventually every tube loosens up.

Preamp tubes get weaker everytime you turn

your amp on. The most comon problem we

see is a weak cathode which in turn

reduces output and gain.

You know your god damn {censored}.

You get an award for awesome-ness and knowledge of the tube:

This Award is presented to Roccaforte Amps for extreme awesomeness and knowledge of the tube!

-Greg

there you go. Good post man! Very helpful

• Members

I tried searching but couldnt find much on how to test a tube. Is there a way to test a tube with a volts ohms reader thingy(I know very little about electronics) or is there a sure fire way to look at a tube to tell whether or not it is bad?

• Members

Yay! I found a guy in my City that works on tube amps! He was telling me he was certified for many different ones cant remember what all he said but mine was one. Told me he could work on my Blue Voodoo with his eyes closed! This may be a jackpot for me!:cool:

• Members
Quite the opposite - it'll squeal.....

Power tube go bad = silence or melting sounds with some flame attached depending on how unlucky you are:poke:

A totally dead preamp tube, or even one side, can certainly kill the signal and not allow it to go to the next stage. It will certainly cause an amp to be silent. I had it happen a number of times.

Archived