q-tuners pickups? what in the world...

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

the website mentions Neodymium magnets and some other funky under the hood monkey business...

Just look at these things

:freak:

gl.jpg

click on the pic for the website.

gs.jpg

I stumbled on these pickups in a thread on another forum asking for the best blues pup, go figure. I can't imagine these in some dignified looking vintage strat, or paul, or 335, or anything other than a shredder. :freak: I gotta say I'm curious as to what they sound like. they have a download section here, but I'm at work so I can't listen :cry: What am I missing guys?

• Members

They're amazing. I have a set. They look really great in natural finish guitars and anything with a flame or quilt top thats already the slightest bit flashy too! I know its kinda hard to picture, but it does.

wow, surprising... do they really do blues well? do you have buckers or singles?

that bucker looks like it's right out of the Matrix:freak:

• Members

I have only tried the high gain versions, but even those pump out some great clean tones. Now for blues...I'm not so sure, its pretty bright and jangly, but maybe the singles are different. What I understand about them at least, is that they are relatively bright as well.

• Members
unfortunately, the only high-gain clips on the website suck...largely in part because the guy who played them used some old digitech processor for his guitar tone.

When I hear stuff like this, it makes me think that people who know nothing about "hi gain" tone are trying to get into the market just because it's lucrative.

"You want high gain? Ok, wait one sec, these will do high gain! let's see, what do those kiddies like to hear? Oooh, I'll dime the gain on my ole' multi fx and scoop the mids!"

If you have at least one guy in your office who knows something about playing the heavier stuff, why wouldn't you have him set you up with gear that a high gain player would use? Makes me think somebody broke away from the fender twin to half ass a clip or two and without knowing any better, they decided it sounded "good enough". Wouldn't you want to get a tone on tape that somebody would want? For God's sake the "amp" they are using is probably cheaper than the pups they're selling.

Then again, people have chimed in saying they sound good, it's just retarded business at the very least. If they are that good, somebody should make some new clips for them. And I still have to wonder if they are good by coincidence. :freak: I thought everybody knew at least one person with a high gain amp in the stable, regardless of what type of player they are...

• Members

They're some of the more neutral sounding pickups I've heard. That's neither good nor bad in terms of opinion, either. :) I give them credit for doing something different and I'm sure some people will love them, but it's hard to say under what circumstances I'd recommend them.

• Members
They're some of the more neutral sounding pickups I've heard. That's neither good nor bad in terms of opinion, either.
:)
I give them credit for doing something different and I'm sure some people will love them, but it's hard to say under what circumstances I'd recommend them.

So it's kinda like sayin it's a great tool if you can find the right job for it? If it's all about sounding flat and neutral, sounds like it would be something a jazz player would like assuming the output isn't ridiculous...

I just don't quite know what to make of them. I checked out the clean guitar clip while the office was empty and it sounds kinda "lace"-ish. Mixed with a tad of acoustic simulation. They sure are bright and snappy. I could see a jazz player being interested in putting one in a super dark hollow body for some help with articulation, but I see what you mean about not knowing how to apply these pick ups. Who knows what guitar was used tho...

Come to think of it, FalseRevRG, where did you hear that the high gain stuff was done with a digitech? Is it somewhere else on the site?

• Members

The ones I tried did have very strong string pull, but I could also lower them more than I normally do and they worked well.

When I say they sounded "neutral" I really do mean that they didn't sound particularly bright, overly acoustic, or so forth. They seem quite flat overall, which can work fine for lots of things without being aggravating in any way. Then of course the polepieces can be adjusted for some variance in the sound, although I found the sort of control that offered wasn't what I'd expected.

These are so unusual you just have to try them to really know what they're like.

• Members

Come to think of it, FalseRevRG, where did you hear that the high gain stuff was done with a digitech? Is it somewhere else on the site?

the guy who recorded the clips talked about them on the sevenstring.org boards

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/28531-q-tuners-i-gotta-get-one.html#post495579

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/28531-q-tuners-i-gotta-get-one-2.html#post495868

Archived