What's a Laney VH100R sound like?

evhtone

• Members

Most people say they sound like marshall on steroids. But then again thats what people say about alot of amps. Vh100r definitely has its own thing going. I would take it over a marshall any day. Look at the amp reviews on here to get a good picture. Oh and the clean channel is killer. Best clean ive heard on a multi channel head. Just think Paul gilbert, thats basically what they sound like.

• Members

Most people say they sound like marshall on steroids. But then again thats what people say about alot of amps. Vh100r definitely has its own thing going. I would take it over a marshall any day. Look at the amp reviews on here to get a good picture. Oh and the clean channel is killer. Best clean ive heard on a multi channel head. Just think Paul gilbert, thats basically what they sound like.

I'm not a Paul Gilbert guy sorry-to-say. But, thanks for the info and I will check out the reviews too.

• Members

I've owned or played:

Engl Fireball, Rivera Knucklehead, Rivera Ktre, Laney GH100L, Laney VH100R, Butler Silver Hammer, Orange AD30, Marshall DSL50, Marshall JCM 900, Marshall JCM 800, Mesa Triple Recto, Mesa Stiletto Deuce, Bogner Uber, Peavey 5150

and various other crappy solid state heads

The VH100R and the KTre are 2 of my top 5 out of that group.

The VH100R is very very versatile and sounds pretty killer dry. It does kind of have a Marshall vibe, but like a previous poster said, I'd take it over a Marshall any day!

• Members

I thought Opeth used GH100L's. I think that's the one Paul Gilbert used for most of his career too.

Keep in mind that Paul Gilbert did a tone quest after touring on G3 with Joe Satriani and John Petrucci, and now he uses Marshalls. Richie Kotzen switched from Laney to Marshall as well (then to Cornford, God bless him).

I think we can all just skip the "tone ladder" and buy Cornford amps in the first place.

• Members

Mastodon used all Laney VH100R's on Remission and Leviathan. That sick ass chainsaw grind i believe is channel 2, but i may be wrong.

They converted over to Marshall JCM 800's and 900's for Blood Mountain. It was a sad day when i bought that album and heard opera like singing and plain old guitar tone :cry:

• Members

Mastodon used all Laney VH100R's on Remission and Leviathan. That sick ass chainsaw grind i believe is channel 2, but i may be wrong.

They converted over to Marshall JCM 800's and 900's for Blood Mountain. It was a sad day when i bought that album and heard opera like singing and plain old guitar tone
:cry:

I think theyre all great albums, and I like them for different reasons. But, I prefer the tone on leviathan, and remission.

So, vh100r or quickrod?? Sorry, didn't mean to jack the thread.

• Members

They converted over to Marshall JCM 800's and 900's for Blood Mountain. It was a sad day when i bought that album and heard opera like singing and plain old guitar tone

remission and lifesblood were both marshall jtms and jmps on the verge of meltdown. its a well known fact about those albums. thats why they sound better (IMO) than most every metal album ive ever heard

• Members

Were they boostin those vh100r's?

Archived