clip - How this for an old Sabbath tone?

Randy Van Sykes

• Members
To much gain, and (very) little to much low (most of the low belive it or not came from Geezer).

But it does sound very nice, I like that a lot.

Cool thanks!
Good points. :idea:

The AC15 was set for totally clean, so that's all Rat gain. I had the dist. knob around 12:00....actually the tone and level knobs where at 12:00 as well on the Rat...so lots of play there on the pedal.

• Members
It is pretty nasty, I dig it.

Great for heavy bar chords and single note stuff.

I'm gonna keep the Rat pedal for recording to get gnarl sometimes.

Hey what is better for this type of tone...Big Muff maybe?

Personally I think stock Big Muffs sound like ass. :D

The tone you have now is damn near perfect for the stoner {censored}, although it sounds tighter than what you typically hear in that genre, but thats a good thing. ;)

• Members
Personally I think stock Big Muffs sound like ass.
:D

The tone you have now is damn near perfect for the stoner {censored}, although it sounds tighter than what you typically hear in that genre, but thats a good thing.
;)

I'm trying out that new Rat dual pedal.

But there's an old Rat like this on the local Craigslist.
proco_rat.jpg

I think that's the one I want. It has the little switch up top so I think it's the Keeley modded one, which would be very cool.

• Members

That is part of their tone alright. Especially Paranoid. I think that to make it totally Sabbath, you need to have that tone as part of the "layer" with some guitar tracked for "depth". I could see War Pigs with this but an extra git or 2 for roundness.

• Members
I'm reading the old Rat and the new Rat sound a bit different.

Could your old Rat get a tone similar to this?

If not, I actually may like the new one I have here better then.
:confused:

Mine sounds a lot like yours. And I dig it. I havent played the newer ones though so your guess is as good as mine. :)

• Members
That is part of their tone alright. Especially Paranoid. I think that to make it totally Sabbath, you need to have that tone as part of the "layer" with some guitar tracked for "depth". I could see War Pigs with this but an extra git or 2 for roundness.

I was thinking of playing it twice...doubling it and panning it...it would sound a lot more like it then. I think Iommi doubled a lot of the rhythms.

• Members

I was thinking of playing it twice...doubling it and panning it...it would sound a lot more like it then. I think Iommi doubled a lot of the rhythms.

Listen to the lead guitars on Paranoid/Pigs/Iron Man - they are all double tracked. The lead on Paraniod is about the fuzziest guitar I've ever heard.

• Members
Listen to the lead guitars on Paranoid/Pigs/Iron Man - they are all double tracked. The lead on Paraniod is about the fuzziest guitar I've ever heard.

Ya...his sound makes the old Sabbath great for me.
People don't think of him much when trying to get a cool heavy tone, but he had a very cool tone for the stuff they wrote...you know it's Iommi right away. ;)

• Members
Cool clip!! if you listen closely to Sabbath there really is not that much grit. It is all power amp distortion!! What you are hearing is an amp dimed and speakers extending to the max...

This was done low volume...that would make a big difference backing off the gain on the Rat pedal and cranking the amp up.
I bet that would be great...maybe I'll try a quick clip like that again when I get home from work. ;)

• Members
This was done low volume...that would make a big difference backing off the gain on the Rat pedal and cranking the amp up.

I bet that would be great...maybe I'll try a quick clip like that again when I get home from work.
;)

that's definitely the way to go :thu: less preamp/rat gain, more poweramp/speaker contribution

I dig the rat sound for this sort of thing too

Archived