SLO on the Way

Rayneman

• Members

Not sure if I made the right decision or not. I traded my CAA OD100 SE+ for a stock 2006 SLO. The Soldano will be here Friday.

This will be the 2nd SLO I've had, the first one was older, and had the depth mod which I didn't really like too much. For some reason, I didn't get along with that SLO, and the FX loop was pretty bad. I don't think I gave it much of a chance though, and now I have plenty of opportunities to play it loud and live. I had the first SLO for literally a week it seems before I got rid of it.

Anyway, I think the CAA OD100 SE+ is a pretty bad ass amp, but to me anyway it sort of shares the same kind of tone and feel as my Ecstasy. The CAA may have a bit more gain and a better clean channel, but in the end, despite that its a fairly dark sounding amp similar to the Bogner, it just is not as good for me as the XTC.

I'm interested in a brighter amp with a little more up front, urgent type of tone. I think the SLO might be that amp for me. Unless I can somehow live with no effects, I will need to run some sort of rack stuff through the loop, even though I know what I'm getting into. Hopefully I can manage this time. I prefer my live tone to be pretty heavy, with a fair amount of low end, and I don't know if I can get that low end from the SLO, but hopefully it will be adequate.

Anyway, who has some SLO pics or clips they want to share? Even though I 've had the amp before, its been so long that I'm still pretty damn excited to get it on Friday.

• Members

That's very cool. I've been interested in the OD100SE since I saw Andy Summers using it on the last Police tour. I take it the OD is a super-versatile amp.

Yeah, its a great amp. It seems like when you get to these types of amps, they are all great, its just a matter of which flavor you like the best.

• Members
I sent you a PM man

Responded, and as I said I sold an Uberschall to buy the OD100 SE+ in the first place.

This is all my wife's fault ;). If we didn't decide to have her quit her job and "stay home with the kids" I'd still be able to buy all these damn amps and KEEP tham. I love them all. This selling and trading in order to get something new is B.S.!!!!

:lol:

• Members

Your tele is teh hot.

Thanks, I sold it though. I'm assuming you're talking about the '73 Custom...

To the OP:

Also, why is it "CAA"? I thought it was "CAE," but I see everyone writing "CAA."

...and I know what you mean. It's all about finding the right flavor.

• Members

Thanks, I sold it though. I'm assuming you're talking about the '73 Custom...

To the OP:

Also, why is it "CAA"? I thought it was "CAE," but I see everyone writing "CAA."

...and I know what you mean. It's all about finding the right flavor.

CAA is Custom Audio Amplifiers, that's the name plate on the amp. I think the preamps and other gizmos are Custom Audio Electronics.

• Members
Do you use the depth on your SLO a lot?

Do you have a preference between the SLO and XTC?

i only really use the depth mod when i'm playing under 4 on the MV. and if i'm wanting a bit more girth, i'll put the depth mod up maybe 1/4.

honestly, it depends on my mood as to what i prefer. some days its the XTC, some days its the SLO. :idk:

• Members

The depth mod is cool up until 1/3, after that, it's too much IMHO (sounds too nu-metallish). When playing at volume, I put it around 1/4. If you don't need much effects, you could use an old intellifex in the loop, it will work allright. If you need a more complicated setup, you'll have to modify the loop. My local tech did that on mine for around $100. He moved the loop after the tone stack, lowered the level/changed the buffering so now it accepts any kind of pedal or rack effect without any tonal degradation and also added a level control after the send return that can act like a global master. Very cool because you can change the general volume of the system (both channels+effects) without affecting any setting/headroom/general tone. It's a great mod for that amp. Now it's about perfect for my taste. I have no gas for any other high-gainer. Though I'm still gassing for old vintage Vox, Hiwatt, Fender etc. but it's a different story alltogether... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use a GMajor in the loop, so I can control the output volume...I can crank the amp up halfway and still have it at a very reasonable level (even less than is needed to cut above a drummer). I find that I don't need to use the depth mod if it has some decent volume (above 4 or so), but depending on how much volume I'm choosing to output, a quarter turn can make a big difference in thickening up the sound. But yeah, the bass does kick in around 4 with that amp and if you need more bass, put an EQ in the loop...I love how this amp cuts in my band. I can cut through anyone's sound and have exceptional string to string clarity. I like to EQ a little extra low mids and bass with the GMajor myself, but it's only icing on the cake.

Archived