Tell me about Krank Cabs and Eminence Legend Speakers.....

Chrisjd

• Members

Anyone here who has played a revolution cab that comes with the eminence legend speakers could you please chime in on what they sound like? A lot of you probably know what I like in my tone (TONS of mids, clear, defined, raw). I do NOT want a cab that is really directional and boxy sounding. Also, how much do these go for used typically? Fill me in on these things!

• Members

First of all, they move a ton of air and they are made very well.

The Legends stay very clean as far as speaker breakup goes and they handle high power/volume very well.

I have heard a JCM800 that benched at 122 watts turned up to 6 with a guitar tuned to B through the krank cabs and it handled it without a problem.

The speakers don't have big midrange like V30's but they are voiced similar but seem smoother and more even in their frequency response.

• Members

FWIW, here's a V30 (first) and V12 (Second). Both loaded in the same Cab, Ampeg V4.

The mic is 5-/14 inches out from the center dust cap pointed right at the dust cap. I tried to mic both the same. The clip and amp setting is unchanged.

V30 then V12

Sorry it's not exactly what you're asking for since I do not have a Krank Cab, maybe it'll help a bit.

• Members

FWIW, here's a V30 (first) and V12 (Second). Both loaded in the same Cab, Ampeg V4.

The mic is 5-/14 inches out from the center dust cap pointed right at the dust cap. I tried to mic both the same. The clip and amp setting is unchanged.

Sorry it's not exactly what you're asking for since I do not have a Krank Cab, maybe it'll help a bit.

Which speaker do you prefer? could you compare/contrast them for me please?

• Members

I end up tracking the V30 the most. maybe because I have more of them and the V30's are loaded in several cabs. The V30 definitely has more of that upper mid bite (fullness) and a bit more bottom over the v12.

have you played the Krank Cab (Rev 1 Cab?) you're considering?

have you heard the Sneap clips of various cabs (boogie, krank) and speakers (V30, Eminence-I'm guessing V12 but not sure)

• Members

I end up tracking the V30 the most. maybe because I have more of them and the V30's are loaded in several cabs. The V30 definitely has more of that upper mid bite (fullness) and a bit more bottom over the v12.

have you played the Krank Cab (Rev 1 Cab?) you're considering?

have you heard the Sneap clips of various cabs (boogie, krank) and speakers (V30, Eminence-I'm guessing V12 but not sure)

Never played them no. I did play a krankenstein cab with the texas heat speakers though and that thing was pretty nice.

• Members

Aren't there a few different varieties in the Legend line? Regardless, I have a 4x12 (not Krank) with Legend GB12s in it and while I would not recommend these particular speakers for your style of music, if the other Legends are of this quality, you'll be very satisfied.

ok cool. too bad about that, you would think krank would put speakers in their cabs that did heavy styles well.

• Members

ok cool. too bad about that, you would think krank would put speakers in their cabs that did heavy styles well.

No, I'm saying that I think there are different types of speakers in the Legend line (kind of like Texas Heats and Swamp Thangs are both under the Patriot label). Doubtful the Kranks have the GB12s. Probably the V12s like others have suggested.

• Members

No, I'm saying that I think there are different types of speakers in the Legend line (kind of like Texas Heats and Swamp Thangs are both under the Patriot label). Doubtful the Kranks have the GB12s. Probably the V12s like others have suggested.

yea it is the redcoat v12 legends.

• Members

Question... Could i take the eminence p50s out of my vht cab and put them in a krank cab, and then put the legends from the krank back into the vht? how would this work and would i need to solder?

You can definitely do this. Just about all 12" guitar speakers have the same bolt pattern on their flange. You MAY need to do some soldering. Only taking each cabinet will tell you for sure. Most newer cabs, however have spade terminals, in which case would be simple, since Eminence would probably use the same size spade on both speakers. Pull out a speaker and check.

FWIW, I asked Anthony Lucas, a design engineer at Eminence and he said that the V12 and P50E are very similar.

• Members

yea it is the redcoat v12 legends.

Not that it matters becasue we are speaking of the same speaker, but it is NOT a Redcoat series of speakers. Its the Legend line..

And I am a huge fan of the Legend V12's. I have a 2x12 with em and I have 2 mixed in with Celestion Vintage 30's in my 4x12.

The Legend V12's have a strong midrange, with a very smooth top end and can handle heavy bass easily, but its not a bass heavy speaker out of the box, it just handles bass nicely. IN fact it sounds very well balanced.. It never gets raspy or piercing, even at very loud levels. I think they stay very strong and focused at loud levels. Its an excellent speaker..

• Members

You can definitely do this. Just about all 12" guitar speakers have the same bolt pattern on their flange. You MAY need to do some soldering. Only taking each cabinet will tell you for sure. Most newer cabs, however have spade terminals, in which case would be simple, since Eminence would probably use the same size spade on both speakers. Pull out a speaker and check.

FWIW, I asked Anthony Lucas, a design engineer at Eminence and he said that the V12 and P50E are very similar.

Cool, thanks! I hope the cab isnt so damn directional.

• Members

Not that it matters becasue we are speaking of the same speaker, but it is NOT a Redcoat series of speakers. Its the Legend line..

And I am a huge fan of the Legend V12's. I have a 2x12 with em and I have 2 mixed in with Celestion Vintage 30's in my 4x12.

The Legend V12's have a strong midrange, with a very smooth top end and can handle heavy bass easily, but its not a bass heavy speaker out of the box, it just handles bass nicely. IN fact it sounds very well balanced.. It never gets raspy or piercing, even at very loud levels. I think they stay very strong and focused at loud levels. Its an excellent speaker..

Do they cut through the mix well? Good to hear they have a strong midrange, as I dont like scooped one bit.

• Members

Do they cut through the mix well? Good to hear they have a strong midrange, as I dont like scooped one bit.

As another poster mentioned, they seem to be very similar to the P50's in your other cab.. I couldnt verify that, but I have heard it a few times. SO that might give you somewhat of an idea.

Personally I think they cut through fine, its definetly a little darker sounding than say a Vintage 30, but for High gain it really smooths out the distortion, which I like. I think they record great..

Archived