Peters Polaris with Celestion Blue Clip

Randy Van Sykes

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds Great! I notice you're tuning down to Eb too, huh : )

I was thinking about the blues, but then I was too scared of running just a pair with a 50 Marshall. So I just got a pair of G12-65 reissues in my semi open back cab - I think you'd love them! Sound like Greenbacks with Vintage30 balls - it's like the high mid peak of the V30s got shifted lower, say 800Hz or so.

P.S. I traded the Mark III for a JTM-45 :D

• Members
Sounds Great! I notice you're tuning down to Eb too, huh : )

I was thinking about the blues, but then I was too scared of running just a pair with a 50 Marshall. So I just got a pair of G12-65 reissues in my semi open back cab - I think you'd love them! Sound like Greenbacks with Vintage30 balls - it's like the high mid peak of the V30s got shifted lower, say 800Hz or so.

P.S. I traded the Mark III for a JTM-45
:D

The 65 sounds like a nice speaker indeed then....sounds a bit like the Blue which has a great lower mid thick voicing as well.
I have a C90 in the Mesa Lonestar Classic I just picked up and it's gonna be out of there very soon...not enough sparkle and it's too efficient and sterile (I dig a bit of nice speaker breakup at not deafening volumes) I'm gonna try a Celestion Gold in there, it's an efficient 50 watt version of the Blue and many reviews are saying it's great.

JTM-45 eh? ...bet you're loving that. Clips! ..or should we write something again. ...nudge, nudge. :D

• Members
I really like it, the Peters is much more the nice old Marshall type 'fix' for me, but the Lonestar has a very cool singing fat thing going on...just not really digging the C90 speaker I'm realizing....but that can be fixed.

Yeah... I was at one time interested in the 2x12, then someone told me how much it weighed, and I changed my mind. :lol:

• Members
Yup...the 1x12 is plenty.

The size of the oversized cab for a combo is what makes it sound great though...it's rare when a small light combo sounds 'big'.

Hot Rod Deville for example... that thing isn't much bigger than my Bravo, and it holds TWO 12s.

Nice cleans, though. (when you can get enough bass on them, anyways)

• Members

Hot Rod Deville for example... that thing isn't much bigger than my Bravo, and it holds TWO 12s.

Nice cleans, though. (when you can get enough bass on them, anyways)

I used to own a Marshall 1960TV cab, it's huge...best sounding cab I've ever heard though.

I've taken the greenbacks out of it (still have them and don't use them) the magic wasn't in the greenbacks, it was the oversized cab. ;)

• Members
I used to own a Marshall 1960TV cab, it's huge...best sounding cab I've ever heard though.

I've taken the greenbacks out of it (still have them and don't use them) the magic wasn't in the greenbacks, it was the oversized cab.
;)

Yep... I'm rather fond of ported 4x12s... might be the metalhead in me.

And the fact that i rather love bass... I'd play bass mainly but I like distortion too much and yeah... set up a good metal tone for guitar, plug a bass in, instant cow pile.

• Members
Yep... I'm rather fond of ported 4x12s... might be the metalhead in me.

And the fact that i rather love bass... I'd play bass mainly but I like distortion too much and yeah... set up a good metal tone for guitar, plug a bass in, instant cow pile.

I don't really liked ported guitar cabs, not really into deep, thumping type bass on a guitar's sound (I'm not really metal also) just like more the overall warmth that a large cab's volume gives. ;)

• Members
The 65 sounds like a nice speaker indeed then....sounds a bit like the Blue which has a great lower mid thick voicing as well.

I have a C90 in the Mesa Lonestar Classic I just picked up and it's gonna be out of there very soon...not enough sparkle and it's too efficient and sterile (I dig a bit of nice speaker breakup at not deafening volumes) I'm gonna try a Celestion Gold in there, it's an efficient 50 watt version of the Blue and many reviews are saying it's great.

JTM-45 eh? ...bet you're loving that. Clips! ..or should we write something again. ...nudge, nudge.

Yup, I was lookinh at the Golds too, but for a 2x12 config it was working out considerably more expensive.

The 45 sounds great already, I'm getting a P2P board and Marstran Output Transformer put in real soon.

Yup, we should write something again :D

• Members

Yup, I was lookinh at the Golds too, but for a 2x12 config it was working out considerably more expensive.

The 45 sounds great already, I'm getting a P2P board and Marstran Output Transformer put in real soon.

Yup, we should write something again

Golds are pricey...I just need to buy one. ;)

I have 2 blues now...really really really love them.

I had a huge "this is the speaker voicing I've been looking for all these years" moment with them. :D

One is in the HW AC15 combo...the other in the Polaris 1x12 combo.

That 45 sounds like it's gonna be real nice Warren...let's keep in touch, I need to turn on MSN sometimes. :thu:

Added: I can't resist showing a pic of the new P-90 axe...got a deal on it used..was about half the price of a new one.

ebmm_p90_axis.jpg

• Members
Golds are pricey...I just need to buy one.
;)
I have 2 blues now...really really really love them.

I had a huge "this is the speaker voicing I've been looking for all these years" moment with them.
One is in the HW AC15 combo...the other in the Polaris 1x12 combo.

That 45 sounds like it's gonna be real nice Warren...let's keep in touch, I need to turn on MSN sometimes.
:thu:

Added: I can't resist showing a pic of the new P-90 axe...got a deal on it used..was about half the price of a new one.

Sweet score! Bet that plays as good as it looks :D

Yup, let's definitely keep in tough - you've got my cellphone number, flick me a message when you get on msn or something. : )

• Members
Sweet score! Bet that plays as good as it looks

Yup, let's definitely keep in touch - you've got my cellphone number, flick me a message when you get on msn or something. : )

Plays great and the pickups are single coil sounding, yet double coil sounding (have nice thickness with distortion) at the same time...really versatile.

Archived