New SpiderValve clip (XLR Direct out) RAWK!!!

Sex Panther

• Members

I'm not sure if it can be biased for EL34's.

I believe it has a built in noise gate, but I havent really messed with it. It's pretty quiet.

The guitar used was a ESP EC-1000 with EMG's. I'll give the amp a full review Wednesday after band practice. We have 2 lead guitarists, so I'll see how it cuts through.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Throw any clip requests my way.

• Members

when i see an amp with built in noise gate it sort of makes me suspect that when designing the amp a goal having it as noise free as possible wasn't high on the priority list. there are high gain amps that are quiet. sure high gain tends to lend itself to more noise but better design using higher quality components can greatly reduce such noise.

having built in noise gate at least in the development phase allows the techs the lazy way out excuse "well it will have a noise gate so cutting the noise doesn't matter" which of course is stupid. to be fair, i'll admit I hate noise gates.

• Members

The direct out is a modeler. Essentially the same thing as a pod. Bypasses the tubes completely.

While I could easily try it myself and haven't bothered to, does the amp need to be fully turned on for it to work?

It seems the modeler part comes on with the power switch, while the tubes come on with the standby switch...

• Members

when i see an amp with built in noise gate it sort of makes me suspect that when designing the amp a goal having it as noise free as possible wasn't high on the priority list. there are high gain amps that are quiet. sure high gain tends to lend itself to more noise but better design using higher quality components can greatly reduce such noise.

having built in noise gate at least in the development phase allows the techs the lazy way out excuse "well it will have a noise gate so cutting the noise doesn't matter" which of course is stupid. to be fair, i'll admit I hate noise gates.

The noise gate is built into the DSP in the entire Spider line, so there is no reason to arbitrarily remove the pre-existing feature for the Spider Valve, even the amp itself is very quiet.

• Members

It seems the modeler part comes on with the power switch, while the tubes come on with the standby switch...

You should read the manual, p. 1*2, sections 13 and 14, re. the "Standby" and "Power" switches.

The Power switch turns on the entire amplifier, and should be left on for at least a minute (according to the manual) before you switch the "Standby" to ON. The "Standby" switch engages the speakers when you switch it to ON.

AFAIK, the pre-amp out and the XLR recording out should both be enabled, even when the amp is set to "Standby".

• Members

I had the amp on....but it was on standby. So it was completely silent when I was recording.

And don't be too suspect of the noise gate. I've never used it, don't know how, and don't see the point. It's pretty quiet. I'm gonna post a MIC'ed clip I just did in a second...

• Members

You should read the manual, p. 1*2, sections 13 and 14, re. the "Standby" and "Power" switches.

The Power switch turns on the entire amplifier, and should be left on for at least a minute (according to the manual) before you switch the "Standby" to ON. The "Standby" switch engages the speakers when you switch it to ON.

AFAIK, the pre-amp out and the XLR recording out should both be enabled, even when the amp is set to "Standby".

Read enough of the manul to realize it didn't say anything too important ;)

Standby drops the HV to the tubes, much like a regular tube amp - I just was unsure if it also dropped power to the SS preamp or not - if it didn't, the master would be the knob to control room-levels with :)

• Members

I had the amp on....but it was on standby. So it was completely silent when I was recording.

And don't be too suspect of the noise gate. I've never used it, don't know how, and don't see the point. It's pretty quiet. I'm gonna post a MIC'ed clip I just did in a second...

The noise gate, from what I can tell, is engauged on at least a couple of the higher gain presets. I can hear it kick in and cut the sound. It's pretty annoying when you have "Meshuggah", but have adjusted everything around, and like running the gain quite low with the same model selected. (9:00 range)

• Members
The noise gate, from what I can tell, is engauged on at least a couple of the higher gain presets. I can hear it kick in and cut the sound. It's pretty annoying when you have "Meshuggah", but have adjusted everything around, and like running the gain quite low with the same model selected. (9:00 range)

Ah, I don't really use the presets that much. I just made my own presets. It seems to be a great Hard Rock/Classic Rock amp, but I don't know if it would cut it for most Chugga Chugga guys. Fortunately, I'm not one of them....so it works great for me. :)

Archived