5150 III FX loop signal too hot... how to fix?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I don't know if it's always been like this or not, but I didn't notice until just now. When I kick on the effects loop it adds some volume and gain to all channels... I don't mind it on the 2nd and 3rd channel, but I don't like what it does to my clean channel.... and that's important, because I like the FX loop on for delay, reverb, etc especially when playing clean.

To the other 5150 III owners, is your FX loop like this too? I'm not sure if it just now got like this or if I just didn't notice before..... anyways, I saw it's a tube driven loop.... so, would replacing that tube with a lower gain tube help? is there any other way to fix this?

I wouldn't mind usually, but it's adding some noise and the clean channel sounds better with it off...

EDIT: forgot to mention: there's no send/return level controls on this amp like on some other amps....

• Members

is the 5150 mkIII fx loop line level (+4db) or pedal level (-10db)

if its line level (+4db) and youre putting -10db stomp boxes in the loop the fiddys fx send may be cliping your pedals input.

i was fighting with my framus cobras line level loop with this issue when running stompboxes.until i found out a D.I box set to pad the level down (eg -10db/-20db) in between the amp fx send and pedal input. the pedals out put will be enough for hte amps fx return. Ebtech make a line level shifter as well, but i found hte DI box to be cheaper and effectively do the same thing.

anyways not sure if this is relevant to the fiddy but it works with my setup great

• Members

is the 5150 mkIII fx loop line level (+4db) or pedal level (-10db)

if its line level (+4db) and youre putting -10db stomp boxes in the loop the fiddys fx send may be cliping your pedals input.

i was fighting with my framus cobras line level loop with this issue when running stompboxes.until i found out a D.I box set to pad the level down (eg -10db/-20db) in between the amp fx send and pedal input. the pedals out put will be enough for hte amps fx return. Ebtech make a line level shifter as well, but i found hte DI box to be cheaper and effectively do the same thing.

anyways not sure if this is relevant to the fiddy but it works with my setup great

It's line level, but I removed all the pedals except the timefactor to make sure it wasn't the pedals..... and the timefactor has a switch to set the level at line level to use in the loop. I don't think it has anything to do with the pedals. But for some reason, I don't think it was like always like this, so I'm not sure why it's doing it now

Archived