Getting a MusicMan 4x12 for $15 tomorrow

nyck

• Members

Yupppp

:D

it's the vintage black tolex with silver grille one with casters.

the guy says he thinks its got two speakers flopping around inside of it, but its definitely not wired up or complete.

either way, i'm pretty stoked to get a 4x12 for 15 buckeroos

anyone know if these are high quality at all?

if the two speakers are fully functional and sounding good, i'll probably just use them instead of buying more speakers. that is...if they sound good :D

i have high hopes though!

can you say full stack time?? xDD

• Members

I have one from the early-mid '70s. It was my only cab for most of my gigging life. It's very well-made. The original speakers were kinda just okay so I eventually swapped 'em out.

awesome!

does it have a full sound?

• Members

awesome!

does it have a full sound?

Yes, at least I think it does! But, to me, even my old Crate 4x12 sounded pretty full to me once I put the Greenbacks in it. I think I would expect most any 4x12 with decent speakers to sound pretty damn full.

BTW, when you pop yours open you have to let me know if it's stuffed full of fiberglass insulation. Mine is. Also, all the speaker frames are grounded together with wires on the front of the baffle. Only cab I've ever owned that had that.

• Members
Yes, at least I think it does! But, to me, even my old Crate 4x12 sounded pretty full to me once I put the Greenbacks in it. I think I would expect most any 4x12 with decent speakers to sound pretty damn full.

BTW, when you pop yours open you have to let me know if it's stuffed full of fiberglass insulation. Mine is. Also, all the speaker frames are grounded together with wires on the front of the baffle. Only cab I've ever owned that had that.

sweet!what exactly does the insulation do to the sound?

• Members

sweet!

what exactly does the insulation do to the sound?

That's a good question. I guess I'd have to try the same cab with the insulation removed to find out, but I'm way too lazy for that! ;)

I would guess that it's maybe done to knock down standing waves inside the cab, kinda like the way a studio's walls get treated? Depending on the size/shape of the cab, certain frequencies could be accentuated/diminished by their interaction with each other inside the cab. So you might end up with anomalies in the cab's freq response? I dunno, just taking a stab.

Didja get it yet???

• Members

re: the speakers

the other guitarrist in our band has a music man 2x12 that is fully ported on the bottom and it sound really fat, with a great low end. it actually has better low end respose than my v30 loaded avatar closed back 2x12. i popped the MM cab open and saw two fairly plain looking speakers. either way, they sound great

nice score

• Members

It should help reduce standing waves. It also makes the cabinet act like a larger cabinet as far as loadings and volume. Not huge differences, but a little different.

In car stereo, if a sub would be ideal in a 1.5 cu ft sealed enclosure, a 1.2 or 1.3 cu ft enclosure might sound a bit boomy or emphasize the frequency range right before the response drops off, making it seem like it drops off at a higher frequency.

I've not taken many truly high end guitar amps apart, but in really high end home audio speakers, a lot of designers go to great lengths not to have any parallel surfaces front to back. Usually the baffles will be angled either up/down or left/right, or sometimes the inside of the rear of the cabinet will have wood or foam triangles to reduce standing waves.

• Members

I picked it up!!

it's pretty awesome looking and vintage. it has two semi new looking electro harmonix 12" speaks(it doesnt say anything about the ohmage on them though...) and two other 12s that look like the label has been removed.

it's 27x27x13 and has casters

:D

all for 15 bucks

ooh yeah, it does have the insulation inside

no head to try it at home with :[

Archived