Techs, GET IN HERE!

JBecker

• Members

The best way IMO to learn the design is to get a hold of a ptp amp kit so that you can reference what does what. A ptp board does not start at pin 1 and the signal leaves at pin 40, there are seperate circuits throughout the board and wire thats that part to where it needs to go.

I know you are in college but getting ahold of a Metro kit and building it WHILE reading will speed your learning curve in a big way.

Agreed! There's no substitute for really learning how an amp works with one in front of you. A Ceriatone kit unassembled will serve the same purpose (but probably won't sound quite as great when finished), or you could even source the parts yourself.

• Members

The best way IMO to learn the design is to get a hold of a ptp amp kit so that you can reference what does what. A ptp board does not start at pin 1 and the signal leaves at pin 40, there are seperate circuits throughout the board and wire thats that part to where it needs to go.

I know you are in college but getting ahold of a Metro kit and building it WHILE reading will speed your learning curve in a big way.

There will definitely be simultaneous building and reading, etc.

I think the intention will be to create as many as two amps during the course. I think in the beginning it'll be reading some theory and a couple of basic effects as part of the learning how circuits effect signal, etc, which is the professor I'm looking to get on board's specialty. From there, I'll start building a small, easy to build kit as I continue on the theory, and the final project will either be a much more complex build, or depending on how far I get, a complex build plus mods where I have to present and explain the mods, how they work, and demonstrate what they do, etc.

• Members

Man, the hope is that 10hrs of work per week for 14 weeks is a lot of {censored}ing learning.

My goals are pretty simple though...

On the low end, I'd like to be able to build kits, and understand where to look and what to do to mod something. I'd also like to be able to service an amp.

On the high end, and this is really more what the course will have to be designed towards due to the requirements to actually get an ISP here, I'd love to be able to design an amp from scratch.

You've got to come over and have a bench session with me. I have many untouched vintage amps, and several homebrews that we could examine. The oldies have a good history lesson inside them.

• Members

I'd recommend getting the Gerald Weber DVD (it's a compilation of all his repair videos for ~$70 I think) from Amazon and sitting down to watch it before you even write up your syllabus. It's a great general overview and a super-easy way to absorb a lot of the basics. There is probably a bit of hyperbole in there though, so keep an open mind and realize that, like with most resources, you're getting one person's point of view.

Archived