Even if I'm satisfied, should I swap pickups?

JBecker

• Members

So here's the deal. I've got an MIM Strat that was the first guitar I've owned loaded up with Fralins. I thought it was a huge improvement over the stock pickups in the Fender. Last year around April I bought a G&L Legacy and it's in every way a completely amazing guitar. Definitely much more to my liking than the Brian Moore i2.13 I had for years been using up until that point. The G&L sounded way better than my MIM strat and so that one has been pretty much relegated to the side lines (desperately needs a setup and maybe one or two other pieces of work). Because the G&L sounded so good, I didn't really consider taking the stock pickups out of the G&L and switching with the Fralins to see what's up. The G&L is a very different guitar-- thicker, swamp ash versus poplar, maple board instead of rosewood, different bridge, etc. Even though I dropped the Fralins in myself (it was a harness), I'd likely use this opportunity to have both guitars setup and the pickguard on the MIM replaced (the harness had a very cheap, single layer white guard that wasn't even the right match for my strat) so I'd probably have this done in a shop and may even have the John Suhr volume knob wiring done (much smoother taper, I'd have this done on both guitars).

So is it worth it? The Fralins made an otherwise boring strat magic to me the first time, now I'm wondering if it's just the fact that the MIM truly is in every way an inferior instrument and they may really waken up my G&L.

Thoughts?

• Members

I would probably just sell the MIM strat and get another Legacy and put the Fralins in that guitar.

If you are not going to use the strat than I would swap the pickups out and try them in the G&L, otherwise I would just get the strat up and playing well.

G&L's are damn nice guitars, I would have one if the neck was closer in feel to the strat neck...

• Members

The stock G&L pups are very mellow, not sure which fralins you have so I cant comment. I actually love the ones in my G&L, on top of that, my entire G&L is made of mahogany, making it even more mellow which really suits the style I play, I love smooth tones. The fralins may give your G&L more bite, see what you like best, at the end of the day, you can always switch em back right?:)

• Members

I will be getting the mexi up to {censored} soon, but first I want to finish the pedal board. The thing about the strat is 1) it's a lot darker than my G&L 2) it was the first guitar I ever owned so I'm not going to sell it/get rid of it.

I totally understand that, my MIM strat was my 1st guitar, so its not going anywhere either. I think in this case I would leave well enough alone, unless you got extra time/money on your hands.

Archived