Tubes are Rattling?

burton4snow

• Members

This happens when the inards are loose enough to "rattle" with the sound vibrations. Common in combo's. JJ's have worked well for me in my combo's. Bob

Could you give me some model numbers and are these hard to find or can you get them at your local music store like guitar center or american music. Thanks

• Members

Could you give me some model numbers and are these hard to find or can you get them at your local music store like guitar center or american music. Thanks

I usually order things over the phone from places I find on line. Tube rattle is usually from power tubes so im assuming your referring to those in this case. You can pick up a couple of 12AX7's too -just in case. They are cheap.Ive ordered from these two places over the phone with quick results. Very fast from Eurotubes.Bob

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=18

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-el84.html

• Members

I like JJs and I like Eurotubes, but they seem to rattle more in my combos than others do. My latest favorite 6V6 is Electro Harmonix. Widely available, inexpensive, and reliable.

I believe the jr uses EL84's.

OT: Ive got the EH 6V6's in my Stealth GT50. Holding up OK but Ive heard they arent that reliable? Was actually thinking of switching to "Tung Sol" (hate saying that) "re issues" . Ive heard they are toneful and durable. Bob

• Members

I usually order things over the phone from places I find on line. Tube rattle is usually from power tubes so im assuming your referring to those in this case. You can pick up a couple of 12AX7's too -just in case. They are cheap.Ive ordered from these two places over the phone with quick results. Very fast from Eurotubes.Bob

When I go to eurotubes they have a option for matched quad will that give me the 12AX7's too?

• Members

When I go to eurotubes they have a option for matched quad will that give me the 12AX7's too?

No thats the power tubes and two more than you need(quad is 4) Your amp takes two. If you call Bob will be more than happy to to give you exactly what you need. He sell re-tubing kits . In your case it would consist of 2-12AX7's and 2-EL84's. ....Oops I see that they are closed for calls until the 27th. You can order online though.

Go to the link for Fender pro jr kits.Thats what you want Bob

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=7&sub_category_id=31

• Members

I believe the jr uses EL84's.

OT: Ive got the EH 6V6's in my Stealth GT50. Holding up OK but Ive heard they arent that reliable? Was actually thinking of switching to "Tung Sol" (hate saying that) "re issues" . Ive heard they are toneful and durable. Bob

EH/Tung-Sol/Mullard/Sovtek tubes are now all made by Mike Matthews(of EH fame) at one factory in Russia. Pretty much Mike bought the names Mullard and Tung-Sol, so not much diff between all that crap.

• Members

EH/Tung-Sol/Mullard/Sovtek tubes are now all made by Mike Matthews(of EH fame) at one factory in Russia. Pretty much Mike bought the names Mullard and Tung-Sol, so not much diff between all that crap.

True and thats why I wince when I say "Tung Sol reissue" ! That said theres a distinct difference between the internal structure of New Sensors EH 6V6 and TS 6V6 unlike the "Mullard reissue" EL34 and EH EL34 they offer which appear identical. Bob

• Members

Get some high temperature o-rings and put 2 around each tube. Cured the rattling in my Hot Rod using =C='s. It only cost about $5 as well. My amp rattled BAD before this as well...

This sounds like a good Idea. I have a silicone hot pot holder folded against them now and it cuts down on the rattle. I'm not sure what these o-rings are or were to get them. Could you send me a link or picture or some kind of info? Thanks!

• Members

There are a bunch of options, some are kind of expensive. The cheapest is the o-ring:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMP-TUBE-DAMPERS-12AT7-12AX7-6267-6922-EL84-6DJ8-6H30_W0QQitemZ320191756159QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50598QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then there are these other options but they're 5x more expensive and do the same thing:

http://thetubestore.com/tuberings.html

• Members

This sounds like a good Idea. I have a silicone hot pot holder folded against them now and it cuts down on the rattle. I'm not sure what these o-rings are or were to get them. Could you send me a link or picture or some kind of info? Thanks!

The o-rings work fairly well. You can track some pricey ones down on Ebay . Ive got access to lots of high temp orings at work I use on some valuable (mullard) pre amp tubes for microphonics. Havent tried them on power tubes though. Ive been lucky and rattle hasnt been an issue for me .Remember EL84's wear out fairly fast though. If they played hard and are over 6 months to a year(depending on the playing time) they are probabvly due. Bob

Archived