Carvin or QSC solid state power amp?

adambomb

• Members

I am going from a ZOOM G9.tt2 into a Marshall 4/12 cab.

Am I getting a better solid state power amp for my money with Carvin direct,

or should I just go get a QSC from Guitar Center?

I've had issues with Carvin about guitars, is their quality control as iffy with their sound equipment?

• Members

i have a vintage carvin x100b, and it's awesome, but this is just me. in general i've heard nothing but great things in general about carvin's amps. but there are always horror stories. also, i have no idea about their SS power amps or their newer stuff in general as I only have an amp that is 20+ years old. take it FWIW

• Members

Carvin power amps don't compare very favorably with Peavey, QSC, and other reputable power amps. Which model of QSC are you looking at? RMX, PLX? I've been around way too many Carvin power amps out in the live sound world and they are very iffy. Seem really weak for their ratings too. Of courde, for your ap, they shouldn't get taxed too hard. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one though. It would have to be a stunning deal to get one.

• Members

To answer question, I would go with a QSC RMX over a Carvin power amp.

Is there a reason you are not looking at a tube power amp for guitar rig.

Another option for SS is a Crown D-75, nice little power amp, generally used for Studio monitors....

• Members

Carvin power amps don't compare very favorably with Peavey, QSC, and other reputable power amps. Which model of QSC are you looking at? RMX, PLX? I've been around way too many Carvin power amps out in the live sound world and they are very iffy. Seem really weak for their ratings too. Of courde, for your ap, they shouldn't get taxed too hard. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one though. It would have to be a stunning deal to get one.

I never had a problem with any of my carvin gear, power amps or other wise...and I ran them side by side with Yorkville's, QSC's, Peavey's, and Mackies. The last p.a. I had was Carvin, and it was awesome; the cabs were so much lighter than the Tour Elites and DTH's...and sounded great. The ratings were right on to me. Just speaking up, I hate when people have problems with gear that I had/have because I have such {censored}ty luck that if it works good for me, I can't believe someone would have problems with the same gear.

• Members

I never had a problem with any of my carvin gear, power amps or other wise...and I ran them side by side with Yorkville's, QSC's, Peavey's, and Mackies. The last p.a. I had was Carvin, and it was awesome; the cabs were so much lighter than the Tour Elites and DTH's...and sounded great. The ratings were right on to me. Just speaking up, I hate when people have problems with gear that I had/have because I have such {censored}ty luck that if it works good for me, I can't believe someone would have problems with the same gear.

I've been around many of the old DCM2000s and they always shut down when pushed hard. And their cabs were adequate at best. Very marginal components insed them.

Lots of wannabes around here were using the 1588s over the cheaper dual 18 sub and DCMs to power them. You just couldn't get much out of them. I do really like the TCS stuff that came out a few years ago, but they quit offering that in their main area.

• Members

To answer question, I would go with a QSC RMX over a Carvin power amp.

Is there a reason you are not looking at a tube power amp for guitar rig.

Well, I'm going from a Zoom G9 wich has tubes and sounds warm enough through a tech 21 power engine, so I figured after fishing for comments in another thread that SS would suffice.

going through a marshall 4/12 by the way.

thanx

• Members

what's the difference betwwen the RMX and the PLX?

THANX

Archived