OT: Favorite whisky to share with your guitar playing?

rememberduane

• Members

Yeah, I've got the 10-year-old at the moment, though there's a good shop near mine which might have it in, if I'm lucky. The Bowmore's fantastic, but I've found myself sometimes adding a touch of ice to let the flavour come through - something I usually avoid!:cop:

• Members
Yeah, I've got the 10-year-old at the moment, though there's a good shop near mine which might have it in, if I'm lucky. The Bowmore's fantastic, but I've found myself sometimes adding a touch of ice to let the flavour come through - something I usually avoid!
:cop:

I think with a cask strength, you definitely need to add a touch of low-mineral or distilled water so you're not frying your taste buds with the alcohol.

I usually don't put ice in whisky either because it definitely inhibits the smell and in turn taste, but for some reason I find some malts great with a rock or two.

So maybe just a bit of water if you feel bad about the ice?

BTW, if you like Talisker, I definitely recommend Clynelish 14. It has that "salt around the rim" quality, and the firey/peppery finish that Talisker has. The rest of the palate is quite unique.

• Members

Virginia Gentleman bourbon :p

For blended whiskies I've been digging the Crown Special Reserve lately, with the Jamieson 12 yo coming in a close second. My favorite bourbon, and whiskey in general, for having a cigar and playing acoustic though is Elijah Craig 18 year single barrel. Not a huge fan of Knob Creek, never really understood why so many people like it :idk:

Much to my roommates dismay I'm not a huge scotch fan.

• Members

Not sure if it was mentioned here....but if you're trying single malts for the first time, I'd recommend avoiding the Islay malts initially. Definitely a unique flavor and feel from a whisky.

Some of the more refined malts (Macallan, Balvenie, etc.) are delicious and a good start. Work your way to an Islay malt.

I personally enjoy malts from all over Scotland....but could only imagine what I would think of scotch whisky if I had started with Laphroig.

• Members

Not sure if it was mentioned here....but if you're trying single malts for the first time, I'd recommend avoiding the Islay malts initially. Definitely a unique flavor and feel from a whisky.

Some of the more refined malts (Macallan, Balvenie, etc.) are delicious and a good start. Work your way to an Islay malt.

I personally enjoy malts from all over Scotland....but could only imagine what I would think of scotch whisky if I had started with Laphroig.

I did mention that earlier, and I agree completely. My girlfriend thinks Lagavulin tastes like TCP.

• Members
I did mention that earlier, and I agree completely. My girlfriend thinks Lagavulin tastes like TCP.

Ah.....yup, you did.

Can you imagine talking up single malts to someone who hasn't tried them....and then handing them a couple fingers of Laphroig? :D

• Members

My favorite so far is the Glemorangie Port Wood finish. I recently had a chance to try the Glenmorangie 18 which was great too, but is about twice as much per bottle. I've renently picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 which is also good.

Any of you guys try the Compass Box blends? I saw one called the Peat Monster which sounded interesting.

Archived