OT: Favorite whisky to share with your guitar playing?

rememberduane

• Members

I'm playing my acoustic at the moment with a bottle of Clynelish 14 y/o. I had some Lagavulin 16 y/o earlier tonight and as I near the end of this bottle, I'm thinking I'll be adding an Islay malt to the fold as my next purchase.

How about you folks?

I suppose the only problem with whisky is that, unlike guitars, when you're done with them you can't sell them on for something else. :D

• Members

makers mark.

Makers Mark is a conundrum to me. It's obviously way better than most other bourbons, but being a scotch whisky guy I find bourbon too sweet to sip. So when it comes down to it, I'd rather save the money and purchase the diesel/bile/poison that is JD as far as bourbon (well... JD's technically Tennessee whiskey, but oh well) goes. On the other hand, when the mood does strike me to drink such a fancifully sweet whiskey on its own, I look to Knob Creek or Bulleit.

• Members

I understand your sentiments, RememberDuane.

I prefer my whiskey to be on the dry side, but mm.. with lime, a couple of rocks and soda, it is a tasty beverage.

That said, I much prefer good vodka if I am going to be drinking with a purpose.

That I can understand good sir. I have to say, when I know I will be drinking to excess clear booze like vodka or gin is the way to go. On the other hand, many a night of "alright, just a dram or two" turns into "whhherrreeedd teeehhh botleleele 0ff teh laphroaig goooo?!?!/1".

• Members
:cry:

What? I like Chivas Regal. I haven't delved to deeply into scotch, having only tried about 5 or 6 different kinds. I've tried Cutty Sark, Dewars, and the likes. I have a barely touched bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label that I just think is too spicy. Above all, Chivas has remained my favorite. Do you have any other suggestions of what I should try?

• Members

What? I like Chivas Regal. I haven't delved to deeply into scotch, having only tried about 5 or 6 different kinds. I've tried Cutty Sark, Dewars, and the likes. I have a barely touched bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label that I just think is too spicy. Above all, Chivas has remained my favorite. Do you have any other suggestions of what I should try?

Pretty much any single malt will taste better than those! I know a (very) few people who have gone back to blended whisky after exploring single malts, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying a few. Dewars and Cutty Sark taste horrrrrible IMO. Not much of a fan for JW Black Label either.

Chivas is blended from Speyside malts, so I'd recommend looking to those. They tend to be the most approachable, sweetest, and most popular single malts, so I'll just list a few Speysides that I like from which you can make a decision for yourself:

Glenlivet, Glenfiddich (actually not a big fan, but for some reason its REALLY popular), The Macallan, Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Cragganmore.

A few other really approachable whiskies come from the Highlands: Oban, Glenmorangie, and Dalwhinnie. That region is the largest and it varies widely, so not all Highland malts will be as approachable.

I'd recommend steering clear of Islay malts until you break yourself in on some others!

• Members

At the moment I've got a bottle of cask strength (56% !) Bowmore, and also a miniature speyside malt -which doubles up as a tonebar for lap steel playing. It's nice but I can't remember what it is exactly, the label's worn off!

I've got a bottle of Talisker tucked away somewhere too - it's a really good malt distilled on the Isle of Skye. Well worth a try, especially if you like Islay malts...

• Members
At the moment I've got a bottle of cask strength (56% !) Bowmore, and also a miniature speyside malt -which doubles up as a tonebar for lap steel playing. It's nice but I can't remember what it is exactly, the label's worn off!

I've got a bottle of Talisker tucked away somewhere too - it's a really good malt distilled on the Isle of Skye. Well worth a try, especially if you like Islay malts...

Mmm Bowmore. How does that bottle compare to the more ubiquitous Laphroaig Cask Strength? Maybe I'll just have to try a dram for myself to try it out. :D

I LOVE Talisker -- it's akin to lava IMO :D. I was actually considering buying a bottle of 18 year to see what flavours come out after its mellowed a bit in the sherry cask. I've heard its well worth it.

Archived