1988 JCM800- actually build in 1988?

petejt

• Members

If that's the case, then those had solid-state clipping in them, rather than full-valve amplification?

The 255x series or Jubilee series had diode clipping in them. With that said, they are probably my favorite Marshall amps, in terms of tone. The 2203 or 04 you have in the picture above doesn't have diode clipping circuits- unless it was "modified."

• Members

both my 2210 and my 3203 were made in '88. I know some folks bag on the "later" amps in these series, but I think they sound awesome, at least the ones I have.........

Actually, on this board the responses i have seen indicate that the later channelswitcher JCM800's are the best of the bunch - because Marshall redesigned the circuits and rectified some minor flaws found in the first (early 80's) revisions.

The '87 channelswitcher i used to have sounded great :)

• Members

I'm muddled by this.

This Marshall JCM800 has "(1988)" in brackets, in its description.

Does that mean it was made in 1988? Or just another model name like "1959 SLP", "1974x" etc.?

Here is what it looks like.

photo_000626.jpg

thats a badass looking 1988 model... looks CLEAN AS {censored}!

wish I could buy it NOW!!!

too bad it is not in the USA...

xgx

• Members

Actually, on this board the responses i have seen indicate that the later channelswitcher JCM800's are the best of the bunch - because Marshall redesigned the circuits and rectified some minor flaws found in the first (early 80's) revisions.

The '87 channelswitcher i used to have sounded great
:)

True. I had a 1984 2205 that had channel bleed issues. I'm not sure when they addressed the problems.

Archived