Best Loud Tube Amp for under $500

NeverTheMachine

• Members

That sounded good. That's actually the sound I 75% need it for. Was the amp cranked when you did that? I mean, does the amp get better as it gets louder or no?

It was pretty loud. Probably as loud as I could push it with that much pre amp distortion without getting mushy. The clip came out OK but it sounded more ballsy in person... Another cool thing is to set the gain around 10-11 oclock and dime the master. Goes from a nasty ACDC crunch to virtually clean with the guitar volume. Yes the louder it gets the better it sounds as long as the gain is below 12 oclock-it acts more like a NMV amp then.

I recorded that with an Emi tonespotter loaded in it. 499$ at CG now. Too bad though -they had them for 399$ last month! I also owned a Fender HRD. Good for cleans but not too much else. Not one but 2 crappy distortion channels. Sorry Peavey and Fender- I like a lot of thier products(I own a Fender Supersonic and Peavey Ultra 112,Rockmaster pre amp etc) but in this class the V32 shines. Bob

• Members

The V32 has a standby and just as an FYI...most of the clips I've heard for the V32 don't do it justice. It's a rippin' little amp with a great clean channel. My main amp is a Mesa and it more than works as an alternative when I don't want to drag the big guy around. I threw in a Vintage 30 which sounds pretty good. It sounded REAL good through my 2x12 Avatar bottom with Classic Lead 80's

Does the V32 have standby? I have a little V8 for practice and it doesn't have the standby.

Do you have sound clips by any chance?

• Members

I hate Crate. Avoid at all cost.

You might be happy with a B-52 or a Valve King. Not sure about the wattage on those though. Some sort of Carvin might also be worth looking into. I dunno, what kind of sounds are you looking at getting?

You're a n0ob, so kindly play the part correctly and STFU. The Palominos/V series are WAY better quality amps than the Valve King or B-52s. I'll bet you've never even heard one.

• Members

I'm selling my Crate which I have had no problems with whatsoever. I'm just gonna go with a Tube amp. (B-52 AT100) I have never owned a tube amp so I figured I would go that route for a while.

I have the Crate GSX 1200H 100watt head with the DSP Effects. I am hoping to get between $150 and $200 for it if possible. Gonna sell it on Ebay next week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you want a loud amp than can give you pretty crunchy distortion at a ridiculous volume for it's size then look for a Crate V-series one 12" model. My lead guitarist has one and it has to be the single loudest one 12 combo I have ever heard.

I switch around playing through a Peavey Classic 50 410 and '71 Kustom 150 with two of the new EV classic 12L speakers. I routinely have to ask him to turn down because I can't hear myself.

It also sounds very nice at low volumes with a surprisingly sweet sounding clean channel. Granted the notes aren't going to "bloom" like a nice old Fender, but when you get the amp for $300 you don't really complain too much.

Good luck!

Mutt

Archived