DR Z vs. VOX vs. Matchless

bmast160

• Members

i dont know much about a lot of rarer or more botique amps cause they dont have any around where i live...

i have a vox ac30cc with celestion blues...

how do dr. z and matchless amps compare to this? brighter, darker thicker..etc.?

i was looking at

Matchless Chieftain 2x12 Combo

Dr. Z MAZ-18 Jr. 1x12

Dr. Z Route 66 Head

Dr. Z MAZ 38 Sr. Head

but would look at others too...

• Members

I've played a Route 66, and is nothing like the others you mentioned.

Its more for thick overdrive rather chimey tones like your vox.

the MAZ 18 is thicker than a vox but can still do jangley tones.

Z's are great amps for players who tweak there sound too much. Z's just plug in and play, when theres fewer knobs and less to control, you tend tend to be more content with whatever tone your getting.

i would also check out 65 amps and Swart amps

• Members

Z's are great amps for players who tweak there sound too much. Z's just plug in and play, when theres fewer knobs and less to control, you tend tend to be more content with whatever tone your getting.

what you mean by this? people with z's fiddle with knobs a lot but there are less knobs?

i just use the normal channel of my amp....no top boost etc. so theres only the gain knob and the total volume knob...

• Members

I'm not really sure what AllTube guy is suggesting due to lack of controls, but I'd say the Route 66 is nothing like an AC30.

AC30 like tone but with more clean headroom, a thicker and tighter low end, etc, see no further than the Carmen Ghia or the Mazerati/Mazerati GT.

The Maz stuff is also similar, from what I know, but the Ghia and Mazerati have a bit more rock to them.

• Members

I've played a Route 66, and is nothing like the others you mentioned.

Its more for thick overdrive rather
than
chimey tones like your vox.

the MAZ 18 is thicker than a vox but can still do jangley tones.

Z's are great amps for players who
dont
tweak there sound too much. Z's just plug in and play,
so
when theres fewer knobs and less to control, you tend tend to be more content with whatever tone your getting.

i would also check out 65 amps and Swart amps

Fixed.

• Members

I'm not really sure what AllTube guy is suggesting due to lack of controls, but I'd say the Route 66 is nothing like an AC30.

AC30 like tone but with more clean headroom, a thicker and tighter low end, etc, see no further than the Carmen Ghia or the Mazerati/Mazerati GT.

The Maz stuff is also similar, from what I know, but the Ghia and Mazerati have a bit more rock to them.

so you like them better than the ac30 or they are just different?

also...how do you guys try out amps like this...there is no where near me that has these...i think i saw 3 stores in new york state that sell them...do you just order it and try it out?

• Members

so you like them better than the ac30 or they are just different?

also...how do you guys try out amps like this...there is no where near me that has these...i think i saw 3 stores in new york state that sell them...do you just order it and try it out?

I don't own one because I haven't tried it, mainly. One of my best guitar playing friends has owned a Ghia, a Mazerati, a Route 66, and a Maz 18 and has played the Rx ES. I can gather what I'd think about it pretty well knowing his ear and taste and comparing it to my experiences, for the most part.

I'd say it's different, but if you're looking for a bit more clean headroom, a bit more thickness, and a tighter low end with the same base kind of AC30 Vox family tone, it's a great place to look.

Can't complain about the build quality for those prices.

Archived