FX question: pedals vs. multi-fx

guitarbilly74

• Members

I am currently running these pedals through my amp's fx loop:

Dano EQ

Boss CE5 Chorus

Digitech DigiDelay

Volume Pedal

I was think about replacing them all with a small multi-fx unit like those digitech RP series or maybe even something by Boss or Zoom... obviously I don't plan to use the distortion or amp simulator or anything like that, just the modulation, delay and the expression pedal as a volume pedal. Maybe I will use the tuner also.

It would save space on my board and give me more options, but is the tone as good as the pedals? Also does it suck too much tone in bypass mode? I know these units are not true bypass but as long as the bypass is transparent I should be ok, I think??

Is anybody doing that right now? What unit do you recommend?

Thanks!

• Members

When I was a wee lad, I had a pedalboard. I rocked it and rolled it, but I didn't like to tapdance.

I sold everything and bought a Boss GT-6. Awesome multi effects unit, but really I was missing what I used to love about effects pedals in the first place. So, I bought them all again and kept the GT-6 as a backup. Muuuch better.

If practicality is key, I would go multi-effects. Keep in mind with most multi boards you cannot run your time based effects through the loop and other effects through the front end (unless you 4CM, etc etc.) If you like to feel warm and fuzzy inside, I would stick with what you have, or upgrade to some better boxes for said effects.

:thu:

• Members

I used a boss gt-6 in the effects loop of a 100 watt head for a long time and I loved it. It was so versatile and easy to use once I got it set. I always got compliments on my tone. You have WAY more options that way and live, the subtle differences between analog and digital are next to impossible to tell, depending on the unit and how it is used. You gotta be able to set up the multi effect parameters right to compliment your tone and get a good unit. I know of a LOT of pros that still use a rack mount multi effects like the G-Force through the loop with stellar results. Try it out, you can get great results.

• Members

hmm..i never see the pods get pushed on people around here...on other forums people rarely talk about boss g multi-fx...and i hear about them all the time here. Well the podx3 has an effects loop on it that allows you to run distortions/wahs through the front of the amp and delay/time based effects through a loop on the amp...or if you like these boss things, go for them...im a line 6 man, personally.

• Members

Thanks guys, I will look into the GT6, I don't really need to use anything in front of the amp, it's just for clean effects.

how about the small multi-fx, like the Digitech RP80, are they too bad, just for modulation and delay?

Trextomb

I haven't though about the x3 but that's a good idea, I may be able to get a good deal on one because I used to work for Line 6...

Archived