Speaker impedence: 8 ohm vs 16 ohm

scud133

• Members

Volume is one thing..You cannot increase the amount of volume the head has with different ohm settings..I agree but the tone will change even at low volumes. Dont you agree?

One of the earliest mods i can remember guys doing besides tube swaps was plugging an 8ohm setting on the amp into a 16 ohm cab to give that wet overdriven tone. The transformer is working harder this way and it sounds pretty cool..

The transformer is only working harder because the idiots didn't change the cabinet. But that's not what we are are talking about...we are talking about correctly matched speakers and taps.

Run the 8-ohm tap into a 8-ohm cabinet and the 16-ohm tap into a 16-ohm cabinet and the transformer works exactly same amount the amp does not overdrive any easier. The only differences in the 16-ohm tap/cab will be bassier than the 8-ohm tap/cab combo.

What I'm saying is the difference is in tone -- highs versus lows...there is no different in tube saturation, tube overdrive, volume, heat, etc. if the different taps are correctly matched to their load (of course, completely assuming the loads are the same speaker type, just with different impedances).

• Members

The transformer is only working harder because the idiots didn't change the cabinet. But that's not what we are are talking about...we are talking about correctly matched speakers and taps.

Run the 8-ohm tap into a 8-ohm cabinet and the 16-ohm tap into a 16-ohm cabinet and the transformer works
exactly
same amount the amp does not overdrive any easier. The only differences in the 16-ohm tap/cab will be bassier than the 8-ohm tap/cab combo.

What I'm saying is the difference is in tone -- highs versus lows...there is no different in tube saturation, tube overdrive, volume, heat, etc. if the different taps are correctly matched to their load (of course, completely assuming the loads are the same speaker type, just with different impedances).

I agree, totally.:thu:

I think he was making an analogy. I can see how it would be confusing.

So you say that the only difference tonally would be the bass?

Why just that band? Would the mids be more present at 8 ohm as well?

Meaning that if you reduce the bass in the audio spectrum, the mids sound more present just because of the bass being diminished..

• Members

I agree, totally.
:thu:
I think he was making an analogy. I can see how it would be confusing.

So you say that the only difference tonally would be the bass?

Why just that band? Would the mids be more present at 8 ohm as well?

Meaning that if you reduce the bass in the audio spectrum, the mids sound more present just because of the bass being diminished..

Simplifying. In general the 16-ohm tap is bassier sounding, the 4-ohm tap is brighter sounding. I just wanted to avoid using "warmer" again because people could confuse that with heat or overdrive.

• Members

Simplifying. In general the 16-ohm tap is bassier sounding, the 4-ohm tap is brighter sounding. I just wanted to avoid using "warmer" again because people could confuse that with heat or overdrive.

Thanks for the great info man..

Have any idea why this occurs tonally?

• Members

I think yall were getting too complicated with this.... let's assume we've got the most basic amp in the world (like a Valve Jr. head) that has no master volume or anything like that...

----> What is the tonal difference (if any) in running the amp at 8 ohm into an 8 ohm speaker versus running the amp at 16 ohm into a 16 ohm speaker? Or if there is no difference in the character of the sound, does the amp somehow respond differently to your playing?

• Members

I think yall were getting too complicated with this.... let's assume we've got the most basic amp in the world (like a Valve Jr. head) that has no master volume or anything like that...

----> What is the tonal difference (if any) in running the amp at 8 ohm into an 8 ohm speaker versus running the amp at 16 ohm into a 16 ohm speaker? Or if there is no difference in the character of the sound, does the amp somehow respond differently to your playing?

The 16 ohm setup will not sound as bright.

No change in dynamics.

• Members

Wrong answers, they're what's for dinner.

Arrr darn - yes, you're right and I goofed. Serves me right for not reading the original post fully. :freak: For some reason I mixed up with another thread involving wiring a 16-ohm speaker to an amp with *only* an 8 ohm tap....

• 6 months later...
  • Members

if you get something 4 ohms you wouldn't have the option of adding a second cab without some creative wiring so your best bet is probably 8 or 16.

Totally unrelated to this thread.. I am wanting to know if you still have the Limited Edition Tele for sale..?

If so I would be interested in it.

Thanks

Archived