200watt EV speakers- work well with Engl Fireball?

petejt

• Members

I used to have some EV's in my old rig, I really liked them. However, I think a 200 watt speaker would NEVER get pushed at all and would sound okay, but would not have the creamy goodness that a lower wattage speaker has. Kind of like the creamy goodness of Scarlett Johansson's rack that one person has in their avatar!

• Members

I used to have some EV's in my old rig, I really liked them. However, I think a 200 watt speaker would NEVER get pushed at all and would sound okay, but would not have the creamy goodness that a lower wattage speaker has. Kind of like the creamy goodness of Scarlett Johansson's rack that one person has in their avatar!

I don't think that's so much a problem as you think. EV's will take {censored} that no other speaker can dream of, so you can push your amp harder, and get a little more compression. Thus smoothing things out, and giving you some of that cream. Also, after you start pushing a speaker too hard you start getting all sorts of mechanical noise, flatulence, etc..., and the speakers seems to bump up the presence a bit. That's not gonna happen with the EV's.

• Members

Yeah, I could Crank my EV's back in the day. but now I hardly ever CRANK my stuff anymore. If I get it to about 6 or 7, that is about as loud as I am going. I get great breakup at that point and everything comes together like the perfect storm. I know how good EV's sound, I used to run them. I highly recommend them as well. Since I am older now, it's not about as loud as I can get it anymore, it's about general tone and I like what I have now better than my old stuff.

• Members

Yeah, I could Crank my EV's back in the day. but now I hardly ever CRANK my stuff anymore. If I get it to about 6 or 7, that is about as loud as I am going. I get great breakup at that point and everything comes together like the perfect storm. I know how good EV's sound, I used to run them. I highly recommend them as well. Since I am older now, it's not about as loud as I can get it anymore, it's about general tone and I like what I have now better than my old stuff.

Well, I'm 36 now and running two EV12L in one 2x12 cab on one side, and two 100 watt Fane AXA12 on the other in my combo with around 170 tube watts in stereo. My master is routinely over 2:00, and yeah loud doesn't begin to describe it. I could probably compete with a 747 with the throttle wound up.

• Members

Thanks for the responses so far, folks. :thu:

So, if I combine two 200watt EV speakers with 2 Celestion Vintage30s, would that be okay?

(I already love the sound of the Fireball w/V30s, but would like to try something a little different)

• Members

Thanks for the responses so far, folks.
:thu:

So, if I combine two 200watt EV speakers with 2 Celestion Vintage30s, would that be okay?

(I already love the sound of the Fireball w/V30s, but would like to try something a little different)

Well, when I did that I had mine in separate cabs, but IMO the two speakers work excellently together. Be prepared to bolt {censored} down though, or it will be falling off the walls. ;)

• Members

i use a fair amount of gain, and i could never get a decent sound out of evms-- but i like a looser, softer sound. those things are great clean, and if you like a seriously buzzy guitar sound-- they're your ticket. but they never get that sponge you get out of celestions.. with v30's, it'd probably be a killer ticket for new detuned metal sounds-- TONS of low end support and grunt in the mids.

not exactly a classic rock tone though..

• Members

I prefer a super-tight, thick, chuggy, chunky, low-end thunk kind of tone, deep roaring low mids (sounds like rrraaaauuugggghhh) but still some seething bity aggressive treble crunch on top.

It seems like the 200watt EV speakers won't get that kind of tone...... :(

No way in hell do I want a loose, soggy, wobbly cloudy, muddy guitar tone.

• Members

Well, when I did that I had mine in separate cabs, but IMO the two speakers work excellently together. Be prepared to bolt {censored} down though, or it will be falling off the walls.
;)

Thanks mate. It is good that they both work together.

But, I hope they can achieve what I am aiming for.

I really like the tone of the V30s, but want something more in the low-mids to really roar (but without that low-endy burping sound which to me sounds fugly).

• Members

I prefer a super-tight, thick, chuggy, chunky, low-end thunk kind of tone, deep roaring low mids (sounds like
rrraaaauuugggghhh
) but still some seething bity aggressive treble crunch on top.

It seems like the 200watt EV speakers won't get that kind of tone......
:(

EV speakers will get that tone pretty easy. Just baby your presence knob if you have one. They're probably the tightest speakers I've ever played through. They're also the heaviest (as in weight) of all the guitar speakers made today.

They were originally designed as a PA speaker, which is why fizz is a problem. But, it's not that bad if you know how to dial fizz out.

• Members

sounds like evs might be your ticket.. but i'd say the warning to watch yer treble and presence is DEFINITELY in order.. they'll change the texture of the v30's pretty radically if you don't keep your treble in check... but tight and growly.. ohh yeah.. in spades...

• Members

I prefer a super-tight, thick, chuggy, chunky, low-end thunk kind of tone, deep roaring low mids (sounds like
rrraaaauuugggghhh
) but still some seething bity aggressive treble crunch on top.

It seems like the 200watt EV speakers won't get that kind of tone......
:(

Actually you would be hard pressed to find a speaker that does that better. As far as the guy saying they were buzzy, well there must have been something wrong with his. My description would be clear, articulate, and punchy as hell.

• Members

Actually you would be hard pressed to find a speaker that does that better. As far as the guy saying they were buzzy, well there must have been something wrong with his. My description would be clear, articulate, and punchy as hell.

that'd be me-- i don't mean buzzy like broken-- i mean buzzy like you hear the ACTUAL sound of distortion unmuddled by speaker cones flopping around or magnets saturating.. they're 'bout as honest as a speaker gets...

• Members

that'd be me-- i don't mean buzzy like broken-- i mean buzzy like you hear the ACTUAL sound of distortion unmuddled by speaker cones flopping around or magnets saturating.. they're 'bout as honest as a speaker gets...

I see what you mean. But I think they sound great when you learn to dial in your amp with those things in mind.

• Members

WOW, some really good advice here, thanks guys :thu:

It now seems like the EV speakers would work just right. :)

I set my Engl Fireball with the Treble & Presence fairly low-ish, well, just under halfway but I had to turn them up so the amp would sound clearer on its own.

Once I build me new cab I'll be running a dual-amp setup, so I can dial as much treble on the other amp (MarkIV) as I want.

• Members

geez I love the sound of that! :love: :love:

• Members

Yeah, the one place they can be really tricky is on some mid gain tones. Something that might sound great with your neck can get harsh in the middle or bridge, though the quack positions on a Strat tend to always sound good to me.

They don't have the speaker breakup/compression going on that some lower wattage speakers get which can smooth out an otherwise harsh tone. So you've gotta learn to finesse em, and use your tone knob on the guitar.

• Members

Yeah, the one place they can be really tricky is on some mid gain tones. Something that might sound great with your neck can get harsh in the middle or bridge, though the quack positions on a Strat tend to always sound good to me.

They don't have the speaker breakup/compression going on that some lower wattage speakers get which can smooth out an otherwise harsh tone. So you've gotta learn to finesse em, and use your tone knob on the guitar.

Thanks for that advice mate :thu:

Now I'm trying to find out what treble driver (or two of them) that will match with the EV speakers. I'm a bit confused about what wattage the treble driver has to be rated at, and also the size and type. It's going to be used with a rotating treble horn for swirly Leslie effects.

Ideally I'd like to have two treble drivers, so there will be four speakers in total. I'd like to be able to run the lot on 8ohms stereo (left and right side, so there's one static speaker (EV) with a treble driver, each per side), but not sure how to wire it up.

If there are two, they can't be any wider than 10", but they HAVE to be be able to handle at least 60watts (ideally a little more, but nowhere as high as 200watts).

Archived