EU slaps Microsoft with

bikehorn

• Members

so what does the EU do with all the revenue they generate from M$?

Though not relevant

Prior to the big fraud inquiry of 1999 it mostly went to French Farmers (read as landowners, vineyards, french people who owned something that looked like a farm animal...... a horse maybe)

Who knows what they are "up to" now though.

• Members

I wonder how long it'll take before MS just says "fine, we won't do business in the EU anymore".

Eh, they'd probably lose even more money doing that.

That super extra likely. So likely that its actually happened.

• Members

That super extra likely. So likely that its actually happened.

Eh? What is this about then? Can't find anything on the newsie sites?

Also, tbh these days I actually prefer media player these days.

Winamp has gotten so over-complex, its {censored} now! I liked the old version where I could just have player, playlist and EQ thats it. No, now you gotta have all the bollocks down the bottom of it and you can't double size anymore. I have {censored} eyesight and a crap monitor so need it big!

So for now WMP is fine for me.

Vista is {censored} though and will remain so until they release enough service packs to make it OK.

• Members
id like to know how the EU has the authority to fine a company thats not subject to their law

So, if i had a company that sold goods in the US that company wouldn't be subject to US law? :eek:

Cool! :D

... man, what are you thinking?
... if at all thinking...

• Members

An international company would have various subsidery companies floated in various parts of the world. Even though the product is the same everywhere (more or less), the laws governing that country have to be abided by. For example, most companies have these, for example Microsoft USA, Microsoft UK, Microsoft Japan, etc.

For example, the company that I work has different rulings in different places. Even though the main head company is in Japan, there is still a UK division to abide by UK spec and ensure that the product(s) meets UK regulation and that appropriate taxes and duties are paid on anything we import. We are governed by a lot of UK bodies. If we break their rulings, or don't abide by what they say, they could deem our product unsafe and do anything from fining us through to forcing us to withdraw or recall our product.

We also need a license to sell our product in the UK which is not transferrable to another country and similarly, just because we're a Japanese country doesn't mean we can release our product with a japanese spec and expect the UK to be OK with that.

• Members

or XP3

Vista is meh, and it slows down pc's with {censored} i dont need.

Don't get me wrong, I can definately see the point in Vista. For my mom who is a complete and total technophobe and gets confused using simple things like televisions, its perfect. My mom can get around Vista far easier than she ever could with XP SP2 or 2000. So plus points there.

What I didn't like is as a veteran developer, I use the keyboard for 90% of my functions and rarely touch a mouse. ITs just something I've gotten used to over the time. Vista removing half of the functionality I use on a regular basis was one deal breaker for me.

The second (and most major) was it took me bloody ages to get a simple Audiophile 2496 card working on it let alone Cubase and Reason. The biggest {censored}ter for me was when I did my mixdown wav, windows media had already slapped its own copy management tags on the file. I had copied it to a CD and then taken it to another machine which wouldn't let me do anything with it, complaining about licensing. So that to me was my last foray into Vista.

This was quite near when Visa was first launched and I'm sure half of this is no longer an issue, but the way I see it, my machine is fairly low spec, and XP2 does everything I want for now - if it aint broke, don't fix it!

• Members

Yay! Free microsoft money!!!

I feel bad for Gates. He should be even richer with the amount of piracy going on.

I think they guy deserves every penny he has. Poor old Xerox. He kinda nicked Windows from them.

• Members

The second (and most major) was it took me bloody ages to get a simple Audiophile 2496 card working on it let alone Cubase and Reason. The biggest {censored}ter for me was when I did my mixdown wav, windows media had already slapped its own copy management tags on the file. I had copied it to a CD and then taken it to another machine which wouldn't let me do anything with it, complaining about licensing. So that to me was my last foray into Vista.

Hah! That is hilarious!

• Members

An international company would have various subsidery companies floated in various parts of the world. Even though the product is the same everywhere (more or less), the laws governing that country have to be abided by. For example, most companies have these, for example Microsoft USA, Microsoft UK, Microsoft Japan, etc.

For example, the company that I work has different rulings in different places. Even though the main head company is in Japan, there is still a UK division to abide by UK spec and ensure that the product(s) meets UK regulation and that appropriate taxes and duties are paid on anything we import. We are governed by a lot of UK bodies. If we break their rulings, or don't abide by what they say, they could deem our product unsafe and do anything from fining us through to forcing us to withdraw or recall our product.

We also need a license to sell our product in the UK which is not transferrable to another country and similarly, just because we're a Japanese country doesn't mean we can release our product with a japanese spec and expect the UK to be OK with that.

M$ japan? i teach teh manager of M$ japan on sundays. funny guy, he says that american women are too fat for his taste

Archived