Peavey Ultra Plus & 412MS Cab ?'s

wwx

• Members

Just purchased a Peavey Ultra Plus with new tubes and I've been playing it through an old Acoustic 412 cabinet with some crazy off the wall speakers. I ordered the 412MS, which I was told by a Peavey rep was the cab issued with the Ultra Head. I've got a few questions...

1. I've downloaded the manual, but I'm still a bit unsure as to what pretubes I need to swap to alter what sound. I know the ultra has Crunch, Clean, and Ultra, but I want a warmer/bigger clean (I owned an Ampeg V2 years ago) and I also want more distortion options/tones. I like everything from ACDC to Badlands to Queensryche to whatever. But no matter what sound I'm after I like clarity in my sound.

2. With the 412MS cab with Sheffields suffice or should I replace the speakers?

3. How about stuffing the cabinet with insulation to tighten the sound? Bad idea or good idea? Hard to do or easy to do?

4. What setting ohm setting do I want to use when I run stereo? 4/8/ or 16?

5. Not really on topic for this section but, what is a good multi effects unit? Are old Ensoniqs still worth getting?

6. Peavey Guitars? I've always been a Kramer guy, but I'm thinking about looking into an older Peavey, what is good?

• Members

The Sheffield cab is a rather dark cab. If you want brighter tones look into a 1960A Marshall, or have something assembled by the guys at Avatar. If you find it to be to "gainy", try swapping some of the pre tubes for 12at7 and 12au7 versions. If you go to peavey's web site they have schematics available as PDF's to download.

• Members

I had that cab and speaker combo and it was awesome....made for low end. Go to dougstube.com or eurotubes.com and they'll get you what your looking for. cab will be 16 mono, set the head to 16 and make sure the cab switch is set to mono. Peavey guitars were killer, try to find a Vandenberg.

• Members

The Sheffield cab is a rather dark cab. If you want brighter tones look into a 1960A Marshall, or have something assembled by the guys at Avatar. If you find it to be to "gainy", try swapping some of the pre tubes for 12at7 and 12au7 versions. If you go to peavey's web site they have schematics available as PDF's to download.

Yep. V1 is where I put a 12at7 in and got maybe just a slightly better tone to my ears. The clean channel volume can be pushed up to get a bit of gain to it if wanted, though I like to keep it pretty clean and use an overdrive if I want a bit of grit.

• Members

Just purchased a Peavey Ultra Plus with new tubes and I've been playing it through an old Acoustic 412 cabinet with some crazy off the wall speakers. I ordered the 412MS, which I was told by a Peavey rep was the cab issued with the Ultra Head. I've got a few questions...

Let's take a look:

1. I've downloaded the manual, but I'm still a bit unsure as to what pretubes I need to swap to alter what sound. I know the ultra has Crunch, Clean, and Ultra, but I want a warmer/bigger clean (I owned an Ampeg V2 years ago) and I also want more distortion options/tones. I like everything from ACDC to Badlands to Queensryche to whatever. But no matter what sound I'm after I like clarity in my sound.

You DEFINITELY will want the footswitch if you don't already have it. It's the only way to get to the crunch channel, and I think you'll dig it. :cool:

What you can do for the clean is either turn it up or put a very mild boost in front of it. I used a Danelectro Fish & Chips cheap eq with the level boosted just slightly and got a bit more bigness and maybe warmth from the clean with it. It can also be used to boost the crunch and lead channels, though I personally really like using a tubescreamer or bad monkey pedal to boost the dirt channels. :cool:

2. With the 412MS cab with Sheffields suffice or should I replace the speakers?

I wish I could help here but only have experience running the Peavey through two 1x12 cabs with EV12L speakers and a Carvin V412 cab with either 70 or 75 Celestions and like the way they sound though I'm thinking about doing an X-pattern with a couple different speakers to mix with the Celestions. Warehouse Speakers on ebay has some really good speakers for pretty cheap, and Eminence speakers are supposed to be pretty good, as well.

3. How about stuffing the cabinet with insulation to tighten the sound? Bad idea or good idea? Hard to do or easy to do?

I probably wouldn't bother with that, though I can't say one way or other what effect on tone it would have. You might try running an eq into the loop after adjusting the amp itself for the best tone you can and then use the eq in the loop to fine tune it. It makes a major difference with my setup. :cool:

4. What setting ohm setting do I want to use when I run stereo? 4/8/ or 16?

It depends on what Ohms the cabs themselves are set to. If you get two 8-Ohm cabs, for example, you should run the amp at 4 Ohms. If you get two 16 Ohm cabs you'll want to run the amp at 8 Ohms. My 412 is 4 Ohms, so I wouldn't even run that in stereo and just grab my two 1x12 cabs that are 8 Ohms and set the amp to 4 Ohms.

5. Not really on topic for this section but, what is a good multi effects unit? Are old Ensoniqs still worth getting?

I'm not heavily into fx even though I love various artists who are, but I'm more into pedals that rack fx. That said, a good TC Electronics G-Major or a Roctron Replifex and Intellifex should kick plenty of @ss for you and is something I'll likely eventually put in my rack setup. :)

6. Peavey Guitars? I've always been a Kramer guy, but I'm thinking about looking into an older Peavey, what is good?

I have the strat copy Predator guitar and like it fairly well for a cheap guitar, though the Yamaha Pacifica seems even nicer in some ways. Some of the old superstrats made by Peavey seemed pretty cool to me, though. I think one was called the Destiny, though I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly. I'd just recommend putting some decent pickups into whatever you're going to use to get that clarity in tone you're after. :cool:

• Members

Randy just got a red Peavey Rotor EXP with Floyd Rose that is pretty nice.

I'm about sick of my floyd on my Kramer. It's the original floating one and is a real bitch to set up. I don't even use the tremolo bar but what can I do it came with the guitar which was only $200 at the local pawn. American Pacer Custom I with color changing paint job.

rushtallica:

I've got the footswitch, it came with the head, and I "like" some of the sounds I'm getting out of the amp right now, I guess I just hope I"ll "love" it when I get my cabinet.

It depends on what Ohms the cabs themselves are set to. If you get two 8-Ohm cabs, for example, you should run the amp at 4 Ohms.

Ok. So if I run the 412MS stereo then I'd want to set the amp at 4 ohms?

• Members

I've got the footswitch, it came with the head, and I "like" some of the sounds I'm getting out of the amp right now, I guess I just hope I"ll "love" it when I get my cabinet.

Ok. So if I run the 412MS stereo then I'd want to set the amp at 4 ohms?

Cool to hear you have the footswitch. :cool:

Regarding the Ohms, different 412 cabs can have different Ohm ratings. It depends on what the Ohms rating is on each of those cabs. Basically, if you have 2 cabs that are the same Ohms each, i.e. if both are 8 Ohms, then divide that number by 2 to get what you'd need to set the amp at for both cabs at once, which would be 4 Ohms for two 8 Ohm cabs at once or 8 Ohms for two 16 Ohm cabs at once. At least that's my understanding and how I've always run them.

• Members

Not here to bump the thread, just wanted to say thanks to those of you that replied with advice. I recieved my EH 12AU7 and 12AT7 tubes today but, I think I'll wait until I recieve the 412MS cab before I start messing around with them.

I have a small studio in the basement so once I get everything together I'll be sure to demo my rig for those of you that want to hear it.

Archived