CHEAP ultra plus i found, But its "damaged" Would you buy it?? (LINK)

Iron Lotus

• Members

I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by the 2x12 combo version.

If you can do a spot fix and live with the idea of a broken PCB in your amp, and you like the Ultra Plus, go for it.

Seems like it is fixable.. I asked for more details from teh guy.

Dunno if it goes much higher I wont even think about it

but if it stays low like that I might get it and do some repairing..

• Members

"My tech says", lol. Great way of saying "I won't be held responsible if you open it and find it's unrepairable. If it were so repairable, the tech would've repaired it so he could sell it for more than a pittance (because it's supposedly not hard to fix, so it shouldn't cost much to fix). If not, that tech isn't much of a tech and then what does his opinion mean. (And the third case would be that the guy is lying about having a tech examine the amp.)

• Members

I wouldnt bid without a picture of the crack... a crack to me is a hairline crack maybe breaking a trace at the most...

A crack to someone else could be the pcb board is snapped in half and would need to pretty heavily patched up.

Yeah i also asked for a pic of the crack, and if the amp powered up

at all.

He said he personally does bias and blah blah on these amps....

Seems like he could fix the amp pretty easily so im not sure.

He is probably full of bull{censored} and doesnt know a damn thing about it.

• Members

"My tech says", lol. Great way of saying "I won't be held responsible if you open it and find it's unrepairable. If it were so repairable, the tech would've repaired it so he could sell it for more than a pittance (because it's supposedly not hard to fix, so it shouldn't cost much to fix). If not, that tech isn't much of a tech and then what does his opinion mean. (And the third case would be that the guy is lying about having a tech examine the amp.)

Thats what I was thinking, He has a tech, but he "personally does bias blah bla blah" to these amps. I think he might have asked around maybe on a forum, or something and that is his idea of a "tech". Doesnt seem very compitant in his statements.... Still analyzing...

• Members

I'm finished my analysis. The guy is selling a broken amp and wants nothing to do with being responsible for it. That's enough to tell me to not buy it.

He says also..

"startin it low. like i said it IS fixable, but after the service and retube (which is what I personally do on these) im just broke and cant swing it or else id buy and keep it"

So the amp isnt his? He would buy and keep it if he had the money to fix it?

Hmmmmmmm mang I mean I dont blame him for not wanting responsibility I mean it is a defective item so I wouldnt expect him too, Question is, Is it in fact worth fixing.... Probably could do it for cheap if the transformers are all in tact.

• Members
your bidding $700 for a PV ultra ?

no that would be retarted.

You got it backwards :cop:

Its up to 202 american now I figured that was you..
Not sure id pay much more than that...
Theres a mint condition one with the footswitch with
less time left for 300 right now Im checkin out.

What i dont get is he says "he had bought it from this person to repair", Then later on says "if i wasnt broke id buy it and keep it".

I mean what the {censored}?

• Members

Dude replied

the thing is alot harder to tear apart than it looks, so im not gonna do that. you can test tubes by putting a load on them as well as a transformer WITHOUT firing up the unit if you have the right tools which he of course does. plus its just SAFER that way.
i cant tell you for 100% what he did because i wasnt there. but im not gonna risk frying it more, im just gonna take his word for it. he's a high end dealer, knows his stuff, and i dont really have the time to pull it back out of the box its in to tear it all apart just to confirm what an expert told me.
thanks for the interest.

:blah:

Archived