Obama's Speech on Race in the United States

JBecker

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ataris, nice exerpt from a paper. I agree with a lot of your points, I think that there should be NO barriers to ANY place for ANY people. That is a lot of my argument. What we have not is basically reverse racism and it needs to stop. I am not going to go into any long drawn out argument, but you know exactly what I mean. I am for EQUALITY for all! I support that 100%.

• Members

not saying your opinion is wrong...

I just don't get how people don't see his speech as anything but brilliant.

Well you wouldn't say that to Doug! But me! Of course you would!

His speech is brilliant. Every time he opens his mouth you see his agenda more clearly. This man will play all sides and his speeches are nothing more than lip service. If you can't understand the double standards that Obama consistently applies, there is little hope for you my friend.

In this way, he is very much like Bill Clinton.

• Members

Well you wouldn't say that to Doug! But me! Of course you would!

His speech is brilliant. Every time he opens his mouth you see his agenda more clearly. This man will play all sides and his speeches are nothing more than lip service. If you can't understand the double standards that Obama consistently applies, there is little hope for you my friend.

In this way, he is very much like Bill Clinton.

What? Someone else sees it too? There is life out there!!!!!

• Members

what double standard? what lip-service?

If anything, Obama is making him self more vulnerable by not simply saying what everyone wants to here: that he completely disowns this pastor...

imo... Obama is laying down a whole lot of TRUTH rather than just telling people what they want to hear....

• Members

what double standard? what lip-service?

If anything, Obama is making him self more vulnerable by not simply saying what everyone wants to here: that he completely disowns this pastor...

What? That is total BS. Yes, he condemned his comments, then a few minutes later in his speech he went on singing his praises as to what a great man he was. That is disowning him how?

• Members

That is disowning him how?

he didn't disown the pastor...

he disowned the comments.

People WANTED HIM to disown the pastor completely...

He praised the Pastor for a life of good deeds, but did not approve of his radical remarks. He was trying to place context on the comments, which the media was not allowing...and while Obama ultimately condemns comments-- I think he had a lot of balls for revealing that they were made in Bitterness ( rather than in hatred or racisms) that reverberates throughout the black community.

Obama then went on to mention that the Pastors divisive words are a symptom of many Americans, and that is something that needs addressing.

• Members
What? That is total BS. Yes, he condemned his comments, then a few minutes later in his speech he went on singing his praises as to what a great man he was. That is disowning him how?

You see things in black and white and it's ridiculous. Simply because the man said a few unfavorable comments, he's suddenly a terrible person? Ok :rolleyes:

• Members

Not to mention making excuses for him. "This is a common black experience in America!" Yeah, real uniting speech.

This guy will make race relations far worse if he gets elected.

• Members
Not to mention making excuses for him. "This is a common black experience in America!" Yeah, real uniting speech.

This guy will make race relations far worse if he gets elected.

Since he's clearly drawn voters from nearly every race in the US

:rolleyes:

It's not like Romney or McCain would make them any better. Romney is quite the racist and I wouldn't say McCain is particularly fond of minorities.

• Members
You'll do about everything to discredit everything Clinton ever did for the US, won't you? It's completely unarguable that the fact that Clinton was the first president to pass a balanced budget since 1969 was a huge factor in the US's surplus at the end of Clinton's presidency.
How about you tell me something Bush has done that has helped our economy
:snax:

I give him tons of credit for helping destroy the economy with his corporate-sponsored war. :cop:

• Members

he didn't disown the pastor...

he disowned the comments.

Please WANTED HIM to disown the pastor completely...

He praised the Pastor for a life of good deeds, but did not approve of his radical remarks. He was trying to place
context
on the comments, which the media was not allowing...and while Obama ultimately condemns comments-- I think he had a lot of balls for revealing that they were made in Bitterness ( rather than in hatred or racisms) that reverberates throughout the black community.

Obama then went on to mention that the Pastors divisive words are a symptom of many Americans, and that is something that needs addressing.

But why wouldn't he leave that church if your leader feels this way? I have left many of churches because of this type of thing. You don't stick around unless you are getting spirtually fed. Or worse...

• Members

After Bush, we are going to need someone as smart as Obama in charge very badly.

He treated the American people with enough respect that they could understand subtlety and nuance. Quite a change from "the smoking gun could be a mushroom cloud".

• Members

You misread what he said. He meant that everyone WANTS to hear him say that he completely disowns the pastor, but he ISN'T saying that.

• Members
Since he's clearly drawn voters from nearly every race in the US

:rolleyes:

It's not like Romney or McCain would make them any better. Romney is quite the racist and I wouldn't say McCain is particularly fond of minorities.

Do you have to favor minorities? Do you have to favor anyone except our own country? Since when is that a prerequisite for becoming the President?

Every candidate has drawn from every race in the US.

Are you thinking before you type?

• Members

But why wouldn't he leave that church if your leader feels this way? I have left many of churches because of this type of thing. You don't stick around unless you are getting spirtually fed. Or worse...

cause the pastor isn't only those comments...

there is more to the man then the comments...

If you had to disown any friends cause you disagreed with them on one or two things, you wouldn't have any friends.

Further-- I honestly don't see any of his outbursts as being Racists...

Bitter over racial issues? Yes

Critical of the US? oh hell yeah

Racists? no.... I don't see it....

• Members

Do you have to favor minorities? Do you have to favor anyone except our own country? Since when is that a prerequisite for becoming the President?

Every candidate has drawn from every race in the US.

Are you thinking before you type?

I wouldn't say favor, but being a racist isn't exactly a good quality if you're president.

• Members

cause the pastor isn't only those comments...

there is more to the man then the comments...

If you had to disown any friends cause you disagreed with them on one or two things, you wouldn't have any friends.

Further-- I honestly don't see any of his outbursts as being Racists...

Bitter over racial issues? Yes

Critical of the US? oh hell yeah

Racists? no.... I don't see it....

Then you my friend are about as PC as it gets. If what his pastor has said isn't racist, I don't know what the defintion of racism is. "The US OF KKK." Nahh, not racist at all.

Is it not possible for black people to be racist against whites? Of course it's possible.

If you have disagreements with your friends, especially profound ones like this issue, you bet your balls friendships might be jeapordized. And if you are a morally upright person, you would not associate with racists, would you?

All I am saying is that intolerance on that level is not something that I would want my pastor supporting and you can bet your ass I would walk out right away.

• Members

I wouldn't say favor, but being a racist isn't exactly a good quality if you're president.

Well, being associated with racists isn't a good quality either. But seriously, who is calling McCain or Romney a racist? What is your defintion of racism that you can call these guys racist and not Rev. Wright?

• Members

I would say after hundreds of years of persecution, blacks have every right in the world to be critical of whites and even racist. It's all karma.

And I wouldn't say Wright is racist, but I think he's harshly critical. I'm not gonna say I support the guy 100%, but I support his right to speak freely and say what he believes in.

• Members

"The US OF KKK." Nahh, not racist at all.

you're right, its not...

Tounge-in-cheek commentary... yes....

All I am saying is that intolerance on that level is not something that I would want my pastor supporting and you can bet your ass I would walk out right away.

on what level? I seriously don't get it....

then again... I am black... and I agree with the Intended MESSAGE of the pastor-- but not its delivery...

Archived