VHT Sig X Review

Chrisjd

• Members

aren't maps fun? :p

i am still interested in playing one of these. as some have pointed out, i can totally understand how one will need to spend a good amount of time with one to get a good feel for it since there are so many options.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Don't get me wrong, I never said the D120 WAS muddy, I simply said in comparison to the Savage 120 next to it, the D120 was muddy.

But you're right, it really depends on what kind of sound you are really going for. To me, the VHT stuff always has, and continues on in the same fashion with the Sig-X, to be a very refined, polished right off the bat sorta tone. The Cobra on the other hand is very raunchy, and very built around what the player wants to hear, because lots of times, the player has fiddled with different tubes, cabs, speakers, bias settings, pedals, guitars...pickups...etc. to arive at "their" Cobra sound. When people buy a Cobra, they are told right off the bat, "hey the way this amp comes stock......not soo great, you are gonna need to change these things to get it to sound useable." VHT on the other hand, for the most part, comes from Steve perfected to the max. Tubes, bias, speakers, cabs are all right there, nice an paired up, so basically, when you buy a VHT product, you are getting that amp in it's "tricked out" state, VERY unlike a Cobra.

So with VHT, you kinda know what to expest to hear, because more than likely, VHT "A" is going to be 98% the same as VHT "B", and the only difference REALLY is gonna be settings, guitar, and pickups, probably. With 2 Cobra users.....they are likely to have 2 VERY different setups, except for the Cobra itself. It lends itself to lots of differnet sounds, and very differing opinions.
:)

/rant

-Ans-

For rhythm work the Cobra was pretty cool but I just do not like it for lead work at all. Me being a boogie player would explain that though, the MK IVs have that liquid thing going that gets up into the violin type tones once you get your groove on. The MKs also have that "bloom" where you just get those harmonics that other amps do not have.

Both cobras I have played were bone stock, I will say that so who knows. I am sure one of these days I will run into guitarman967 since he is probably 1 1/2 hours away.

• Members
For rhythm work the Cobra was pretty cool but I just do not like it for lead work at all.
Me being a boogie player would explain that though, the MK IVs have that liquid thing going that gets up into the violin type tones once you get your groove on. The MKs also have that "bloom" where you just get those harmonics that other amps do not have.

Both cobras I have played were bone stock, I will say that so who knows. I am sure one of these days I will run into guitarman967 since he is probably 1 1/2 hours away.

......and I am 98% all Rhythm player. :thu: This explainds the difference in our taste in tone, and feel. :wave:

-Ans-

• Members
Don't get me wrong, I never said the D120 WAS muddy, I simply said in comparison to the Savage 120 next to it, the D120 was muddy.

But you're right, it really depends on what kind of sound you are really going for. To me, the VHT stuff always has, and continues on in the same fashion with the Sig-X, to be a very refined, polished right off the bat sorta tone. The Cobra on the other hand is very raunchy, and very built around what the player wants to hear, because lots of times, the player has fiddled with different tubes, cabs, speakers, bias settings, pedals, guitars...pickups...etc. to arive at "their" Cobra sound. When people buy a Cobra, they are told right off the bat, "hey the way this amp comes stock......not soo great, you are gonna need to change these things to get it to sound useable." VHT on the other hand, for the most part, comes from Steve perfected to the max. Tubes, bias, speakers, cabs are all right there, nice an paired up, so basically, when you buy a VHT product, you are getting that amp in it's "tricked out" state, VERY unlike a Cobra.

So with VHT, you kinda know what to expest to hear, because more than likely, VHT "A" is going to be 98% the same as VHT "B", and the only difference REALLY is gonna be settings, guitar, and pickups, probably. With 2 Cobra users.....they are likely to have 2 VERY different setups, except for the Cobra itself. It lends itself to lots of differnet sounds, and very differing opinions.
:)

/rant

-Ans-

You just hit the nail on the head.;)

• Members
For rhythm work the Cobra was pretty cool but I just do not like it for lead work at all. Me being a boogie player would explain that though, the MK IVs have that liquid thing going that gets up into the violin type tones once you get your groove on. The MKs also have that "bloom" where you just get those harmonics that other amps do not have.

if you're into the mesa mark style lead tones, there's nothing else that will really achieve that...i love the lead tones i get from both my cobra and mark III, but they're two VERY different types of lead tones

i wish i could let ya play my cobra rig sometime, i got a feeling you would change your mind about the amp a little...i don't see you converting into a big cobra fan anytime soon tho :lol:

• Members

...the MK IVs have that liquid thing going that gets up into the violin type tones once you get your groove on. The MKs also have that "bloom" where you just get those harmonics that other amps do not have.

+1 on that with my MkIII. My Dorado also gets there.

• Members
if you're into the mesa mark style lead tones, there's nothing else that will really achieve that...i love the lead tones i get from both my cobra and mark III, but they're two VERY different types of lead tones

i wish i could let ya play my cobra rig sometime, i got a feeling you would change your mind about the amp a little...i don't see you converting into a big cobra fan anytime soon tho
:lol:

You would just love it if I was pimpin an LTD and Framus wouldnt you?? :lol:

Naw......have a big home improvement thing going on so no gear this year not that I need anymore :freak:

If I were to buy another amp it is going to be a Diezel, probably the Herbery or the new Hagen if it is what I am told it has under the hood.

• Members

i don't see you buying an ltd (well maybe for the right price, lol) or framus anytime soon...but seriously if you played thru my live setup i can't help but think you'd atleast think twice about both of them

i could probably have you raving about my gutierrez tho :D

• Members
i don't see you buying an ltd (well maybe for the right price, lol) or framus anytime soon...but seriously if you played thru my live setup i can't help but think you'd atleast think twice about both of them

i could probably have you raving about my gutierrez tho
:D

Oh your Gut is freaking HAWT!!!

I saw them last year at NAMM but there was some due playing and had a crowd, I would like to try one out.

Archived