Positive & Negative Aspects of Frequency Ranges

petejt

• Members

I can't remember the thread where we were discussing this.

Anyway, below is an excerpt from a really good article in MusicTech magazine. Most of the info applies to post-production equalisation at the mixing desk, but it is VERY useful for eq'ing in the effects loop or in front between the guitar and amp.

It is a table of the positive & negative aspects of Frequency Ranges. It's useful for identifying which frequencies are "muddy", "boomy", "harsh", an also good for clarity, warmth, body etc.

Because I can't get things to align properly, I've written them as "Pro/Con".

Low Frequencies

30Hz-50Hz = Deep Sub-Bass/Wobbliness

50Hz-100Hz = Bass/Boomy

100Hz-200Hz = Power/Heavy

Low-Mid Frequencies

200Hz-300Hz = Deep Mid/Muddy

300Hz-500Hz = Warmth/Boxy

500Hz-600Hz = Body/Middy

High-Mid Frequencies

1kHz-2kHz = Up-front/Nasal

2kHz-3kHz = Clarity/Thin

3kHz-6kHz = Presence (Aggressive)/Hostile

High Frequencies

6kHz-8kHz = Brightness/Harsh

8kHz-12kHz = Top/Edgy

12kHz-16kHz = Air/Painful

• Members

hilarious! i like the witch emoticon...

i think that's a great chart that every guitarist- no MUSICIAN-- should memorize for monday's quiz... it's helpful to know that stuff, because i've heard it too many times as an engineer 'man.. make that punchier' or some other relatively stupid thing that has NO tethered logic to it.

lots of musicians scared of knowing the technical stuff, and all it does is HELP you refine your vision of 'good tone'! thanks fer posting!

• Members

hilarious! i like the witch emoticon...

i think that's a great chart that every guitarist- no MUSICIAN-- should memorize for monday's quiz... it's helpful to know that stuff, because i've heard it too many times as an engineer 'man.. make that punchier' or some other relatively stupid thing that has NO tethered logic to it.

lots of musicians scared of knowing the technical stuff, and all it does is HELP you refine your vision of 'good tone'! thanks fer posting!

Thanks mate! :thu:

I'm still reading through the article trying to get my head around it (LOTS of stuff), but already it's very useful and I'm learning heaps.

You nailed it right on the head- that technical stuff as a glossary of terms does help to understand things and improve communication, both from engineer to guitarist, as well as among guitarists right here in this forum.

I know that we all have different understandings of what an audio description means, especially the word "punchy". But they are all fairly similar across the board, and the list helps explain what we all mean and put the technical stuff into context.

I'll post more info from the article soon.

• Members

hell yeah! i'm all for better educated musicians... it's funny how many skill levels there are out there-- there's lifer musicians with NO idea how to communicate what they want, and theres technicians who have great understanding of the insides of studios, and NO comprehension of musicality and everywhere in between... leveling the playing field can ONLY help out on both sides of the fence-- not only in just making things seem more possible, but in making crap sounds at the far extreme ends (outside intention, of course..) disappear. its awesome how much is possible at HOME nowadays-- so putting even a handful of the amassed studio knowledge of years of recording into the hands- and more importantly-- EARS of musicians is great stuff.. just so long as folks remember that tweaking those rules is also yer prerogative as well..

sure could make some inroads of understanding between rock bands and sound guys!

• Members

hell yeah! i'm all for better educated musicians... it's funny how many skill levels there are out there-- there's lifer musicians with NO idea how to communicate what they want, and theres technicians who have great understanding of the insides of studios, and NO comprehension of musicality and everywhere in between... leveling the playing field can ONLY help out on both sides of the fence-- not only in just making things seem more possible, but in making crap sounds at the far extreme ends (outside intention, of course..) disappear. its awesome how much is possible at HOME nowadays-- so putting even a handful of the amassed studio knowledge of years of recording into the hands- and more importantly-- EARS of musicians is great stuff.. just so long as folks remember that tweaking those rules is also yer prerogative as well..

sure could make some inroads of understanding between rock bands and sound guys!

yup, I am trying to help educate icon_occasion_graduate1.gif us all so we can better understand each other.

I hope others find this useful too.

• Members

Cool chart.

THANKS! :thu:

There's still more in the article too, eg. how to boost treble without making it harsh (small boosts at discrete points rather than just a massive shelving boost @12kHz), etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

they kinda left out 600-1k, which is about where the guitar's midrange lies, and possibly the snare for that matter

I know. I believe that, that particular range needed its own category and explanation, as that range is rather particular with guitars.

The article was mostly about EQ during recording and mixing, so it included info about bass guitars, drums, vocals etc.

• 3 months later...

Archived