Bass : 0.5

Mid : 5

Presence : 3

Drive : 6.5-7

Everything pulled.

Graph EQ - Off

Volume : 4 (?)

Master : 2.5

I have some minor feedback issues with these settings that I can resolve by lowering treble, presence, drive or gain ... but I don't really like the tone that results. Any suggestions here ? I'm talking about feedback that arises whenever I hold a chord for more than 5 seconds.

I haven't decided what to do with the graphical EQ ... I could use a V shape for rhythm and turn it off for leads. Is this the usual way to go ?

I'd like to get a more "aggressive attack" in my tone but whenever I add some gain or drive, the low end gets too loose and the feedbacking gets way bad. I thought of boosting the amp with a TS-9 instead. Any other suggestions (boost or amp settings) ? And since I never boosted an amp before I'm kind of wondering, do I have to turn the boost off whenever I switch to the clean channel ?

On a side note, here are Petrucci's settings (scroll down the page). I wonder if he uses his Keeley modded TS-9 as a boost ...

That is all.

Thanks

• Members
:idea:
Attention HCAF Mark IV users.

My stuff :

Mahogany Jackson with BKP Painkiller -> Mark IV -> Engl cab with V30

Simulclass - Full Power - Pentode - Mid gain

Gain : 6.5-7

Treble : 7

Bass : 0.5

Mid : 5

Presence : 3

Drive : 6.5-7

Everything pulled.

Graph EQ - Off

Volume : 4 (?)

Master : 2.5

I have some minor feedback issues with these settings that I can resolve by lowering treble, presence, drive or gain ... but I don't really like the tone that results. Any suggestions here ? I'm talking about feedback that arises whenever I hold a chord for more than 5 seconds.

I haven't decided what to do with the graphical EQ ... I could use a V shape for rhythm and turn it off for leads. Is this the usual way to go ?

I'd like to get a more "aggressive attack" in my tone but whenever I add some gain or drive, the low end gets too loose and the feedbacking gets way bad. I thought of boosting the amp with a TS-9 instead. Any other suggestions (boost or amp settings) ? And since I never boosted an amp before I'm kind of wondering, do I have to turn the boost off whenever I switch to the clean channel ?

On a side note, here are Petrucci's
settings
(scroll down the page). I wonder if he uses his Keeley modded TS-9 as a boost ...

That is all.

Thanks

Try switching the "Mid-Gain" to Harmonics, engage the Lead Fat, use Triode Power, Simulclass, and use the graphic EQ. The MarkIV has tonnes of mids, so it's okay to scoop some out with the graphic EQ (eg. 750Hz, 240Hz), but it is good practice to turn up the Mid knob a bit (I have it on 10 now).

How close are you near the cabinet?

• Members

I've never used a graphic EQ, but wouldnt a V shape be "scooping" teh midz?

tats a no no

The Marks are very mid-heavy amps so the "classic V" as it's known actually works very well, and it still cuts like a mofo.

As to the OP's question, I've also got a great sound but I'm getting tons of feedback. My solution: I just bought an ISP Decimator. We'll see how well it works when I get it, but from all reports it will solve and and all feedback issues. You should check them out. Pricey, but hey, if you never have to buy another one then it's worth it.

Either way I think a good noise gate, ISP or otherwise, is the answer to your feedback woes.

• Members

The Marks are very mid-heavy amps so the "classic V" as it's known actually works very well, and it still cuts like a mofo.

As to the OP's question, I've also got a great sound but I'm getting tons of feedback. My solution: I just bought an ISP Decimator. We'll see how well it works when I get it, but from all reports it will solve and and all feedback issues. You should check them out. Pricey, but hey, if you never have to buy another one then it's worth it.

Either way I think a good noise gate, ISP or otherwise, is the answer to your feedback woes.

I doubt the decimator can solve my feedback issue.

It does not squeal when I don't play. My problem is that whenever I try to hold a chord for more than 10 seconds, it turns into feedback if I may say so ...

• Members

Try switching the "Mid-Gain" to
Harmonics
, engage the Lead Fat, use Triode Power, Simulclass, and use the graphic EQ. The MarkIV has tonnes of mids, so it's okay to scoop some out with the graphic EQ (eg. 750Hz, 240Hz), but it is good practice to turn up the Mid knob a bit (I have it on 10 now).

How close are you near the cabinet?

A lot of people seem to be using triode-harmonics ... my first impression is that it weakens the tone a lot ... but I guess I could try that again.

I'm not facing the cab but I'm standing close to it ... being farther could help but I'm not sure it would solve the issue.

Could it help to lower the lead channel volume and make up for it using the master ?

• Members

I use the ISP in the guitar signal chain and I have no feedback problems whatsoever. I still get full sustain with a very natural note decay with the knob set at about 11:30. I still get nice and controlled feedback when playing lead. However, I usually turn it off when I am playing lead as to allow some of the nuances shine through.

BTW, I use the Maxon OD-9 as a clean boost with some lead applications and it plays really well with the Mark IV and ISP pedal.

• Members
I doubt the decimator can solve my feedback issue.

It does not squeal when I don't play. My problem is that whenever I try to hold a chord for more than 10 seconds, it turns into feedback if I may say so ...

First of all, the Decimator can definitely fix that is you set it up that way. I'm getting a Prorack G (i.e. rack version, not stomp box) which has gates both for in between the amp and in the effects loop. So you can completely kill whatever feedback you don't like, or at least as far as I know. But secondly, often a nice lush feedback on a held chord is a desirable thing, especially after 10 seconds... then again if you don't like it I guess that's that. :idk:

• Members
First of all, the Decimator can definitely fix that is you set it up that way. I'm getting a Prorack G (i.e. rack version, not stomp box) which has gates both for in between the amp and in the effects loop. So you can completely kill whatever feedback you don't like, or at least as far as I know. But secondly, often a nice lush feedback on a held chord is a desirable thing, especially after 10 seconds... then again if you don't like it I guess that's that.
:idk:

I thought killing the feedback would kill the sound ... Anyway, there's only one place in our current setlist where this is problematic so I guess it's not that important ...

• Members

I thought killing the feedback would kill the sound ...

The decimator's major claim to fame (as is with all noisegates, but seems to be actually true in this case) is that it completely controls noise/feedback without affecting your tone. I haven't tried it yet but I'm psyched.

BTW why not just roll off a bit on the volume if you want to avoid feedback? If you are holding chords for ten seconds, you'd definitely have time.

• Members

Agreed. I owned a couple of Mark IV's and any feedback issues encountered were readily resolved by the decimator. If you need one, see my sig or the spam thread. Dead mint & works better than anything else out there. Just saying...

• Members

Ive never played a MK4 but i own a MK3 and i cant imagine having more (useable) gain on tap. My bands into some real heavy {censored} too, im not using it for 80s hard rock. I though the MK4 would have more gain avaliable but i could be wrong. Ive never had any "loose" low end trouble or feedback issues either. Wierd?

• Members
Ive never played a MK4 but i own a MK3 and i cant imagine having more (useable) gain on tap. My bands into some real heavy {censored} too, im not using it for 80s hard rock. I though the MK4 would have more gain availiable but i could be wrong. Ive never had any "loose" low end trouble or feedback issues either. Wierd?

It's got enough for me, and I play death metal. I don't think the difference is in the level of gain per se; just that that the M3 is more gritty/aggressive sounding, while the M4 is smoother sounding. :idk:

One of these days I'll try out a Mark III...

• Members

I'm not facing the cab but I'm standing close to it ... being farther could help but I'm not sure it would solve the issue.

Could it help to lower the lead channel volume and make up for it using the master ?

Worth a try. Try setting the Lead Master on 2 and set the Output as high as you want. Note that the higher the Output is, you might want to reduce the Presence & 6.6kHz a bit.

• Members

Ive never played a MK4 but i own a MK3 and i cant imagine having more (useable) gain on tap. My bands into some real heavy {censored} too, im not using it for 80s hard rock. I though the MK4 would have more gain avaliable but i could be wrong. Ive never had any "loose" low end trouble or feedback issues either. Wierd?

You can use the MarkIV for virtually any kind of music you want.

How old are your preamp & poweramp valves? Are they plugged in tight? No dust in there around them?

Archived