MXR 10 band eq with amp with active eq

Bubba5151

• Members

I can't say im qualified about the activeness, but yes that eq will definately open up a LOT MORE than SOME tonal opportunities. I have the 6 Band and I can pretty much make my amp sound how I feel so I imagine the 10 Band would do a whole lot more. Some say the extreme frequencies don't do too much to your sound but I think it depends more on the user.

• Members

Active EQ means you can boost or cut. Passive EQ can only cut.

The two EQ's won't fight. With the MXR in the loop they'll basically work together with the end result being the "sum" of the two (this may vary depending on the amp and whether the eq is before or after the distortion stage). With the MXR in the front of the amp it will affect the distortion character.

Kinda hard to say exactly how it will sound and like I said it depends on the amp, you just have to experiment but it should work to give you a larger variety of tonal possibilities.

• Members

Active EQ means you can boost or cut. Passive EQ can only cut.

The two EQ's won't fight. With the MXR in the loop they'll basically work together with the end result being the "sum" of the two (this may vary depending on the amp and whether the eq is before or after the distortion stage). With the MXR in the front of the amp it will affect the distortion character.

Kinda hard to say exactly how it will sound and like I said it depends on the amp, you just have to experiment but it should work to give you a larger variety of tonal possibilities.

Ok the amp is a Peavey JSX. I have a Rocktron Intelliflex in the loop. Should I put it before or after the Rocktron if I put it in the loop?

• Members

OK ya, I looked up the schematic and the EQ is after the distortion so the internal EQ and the MXR in the loop will basically just sum up.

If you're boosting the highs with the MXR to the point that it's adding hiss you might want to put it first so that the Intelliflex Hush can quiet it. If it's not adding too much noise I'd probably put it after, but I don't think it makes much difference. The only concern I'd have with putting the EQ first is that if you boost it a lot it might overdrive the FX which would probably sound nasty. But if it sounds OK I wouldn't worry about.

• Members
I never really understood what an "active" eq is. My amp has one. My questions are, what is an active eq and will the above eq pedal open up some tonal opportunities for my amp? Will the amps active eq fight the pedal for tone?

Active simply means powered, so that you can cut as well as boost. Nothing too major to understand. An EQ pedal would obviously be active.

• Members

I run an MXR 10 band in the loop of my JSX and I won't run this amp without it.

I can get a good sound with just the amp's EQ but by slightly boosting the lower mids and slightly cutting some of the highest freqs on the MXR my JSX sounds so much bigger and warmer than without it.

I run mine after my Boss ME-50 in the loop and it works fine.

Archived