THD Hotplate vs. Weber

crossways

• Members

I have both. A 2 ohm THD and Weber Mass. I also have a Marshall Power Brake.

All 3 attenuators sound different with different amps. The Weber sounds great with some amps, {censored} with others. Ditto the Marshall and the THD.

And it's not as simple as saying attenuator A works with Fenders and not with Marshalls. For example my THD works great with my Bassman but sounds like {censored} with a Super Reverb.

You just have to try all the combinations to see what works best for you.

The only universal rule I've noticed is that the more you attenuate the more your tone gets compromised.

HTH.

How does the Weber mass work with the Super Reverb and Bassman? I have a '69 Bandmaster Reverb (similar to a super reverb) and a '67 Bassman head.....

• Members

How does the Weber mass work with the Super Reverb and Bassman? I have a '69 Bandmaster Reverb (similar to a super reverb) and a '67 Bassman head.....

I can't answer that cuz I've never used the Mass with the Bassman. I'm totally happy with the THD so I've never messed with that combo.

With the Super, I just don't attenuate. I use the Super when I want clean and very slightly overdriven sounds. So having the volume anywhere between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock works for me. Think Ronnie Earl type sounds.

I tried the THD with the Super once 'just to see'. Sounded really really bad.

Sorry I can't help here.

• Members

Oh, I just noticed about your Bassman. My Bassman is an older 4x10 Tweed with a single 1/4" two ohm output jack (not the 4 output '59 version and the RI of the same).

So, my experience with a Bassman doesn't apply to your situation - different amps.

• Members

I am a Hotplate user here .. I find it great for what I wanted

it for tameing a Hiwatt. Just one thing to add about the impedance

issue you can use the Hotplate with any impedance combo.

You just set the AMP to match the speaker. The impedance

is really for the bass/bright switches for their optimal performance.

:wave:

• Members

i think the thd sounds best at -4 or -8dB myself, tho it's still plenty usable at -12...when you get to -16 or lower it really makes your amp sound totally different, which can really get some cool low volume tones, but don't expect to preserve your original tone @ that level

i've done plenty of recordings with my deliverance 60 and mark III using -8 or -12 tho, and been pleased with the results

• Members

I am a Hotplate user here .. I find it great for what I wanted

it for tameing a Hiwatt. Just one thing to add about the impedance

issue you can use the Hotplate with any impedance combo.

You just set the AMP to match the speaker. The impedance

is really for the bass/bright switches for their optimal performance.

:wave:

So, are you saying if I have, say, a 100 watt Marshall half stack - my 4x12 cab is wired for 16 ohms - all I need to do is set the impedance selector on the head for 16 ohms and it doesn't matter if I use a 2 ohm or 4 ohm or 8 ohm Hotplate in place of the correct 16 ohm Hotplate?

Common sense tells me you're wrong.

• Members

I have heard that the Powerbrake sounds the best with non MV amps at low attenuation level max 5 clicks. Steve Vai tone in Eat em' and simile has been recorded with a plexi and a Powerbrake.

By the way I have ordered an Ultimate Attenuator, I'll let you know when it will be here.

• Members

So, are you saying if I have, say, a 100 watt Marshall half stack - my 4x12 cab is wired for 16 ohms - all I need to do is set the impedance selector on the head for 16 ohms and it doesn't matter if I use a 2 ohm or 4 ohm or 8 ohm Hotplate in place of the correct 16 ohm Hotplate?

Common sense tells me you're wrong.

Got the info from the folks at THD who make the Hotplate

you can check yourself ... The ohm rating is strictly for

optomizing the bass/bright switch impact.;)

Archived