Plasma TV owners: do you have burn-in?

blargh

• Members

I'm looking to replace my {censored}ty HDTV, and I'm not a big fan of LCDs or rear projection of any kind.

I've read that newer plasmas don't suffer from burn-in issues, any truth to this?

I'm particularly worried about burn-in from the letterboxing of movies and 4:3 tv content.

• Members

It's not NECESSARY but it's reccomended by those in the know..

I bought a 50" Panasonic plasma back on this past black friday and used a free plasma burn in dvd.

Go here

http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm

Download the dvd iso file an use nero or whatever to burn it to either a blank dvd or SVCD if your player supports that format.

It will cycle through solid colors that fill the whole screen for about 15 or so seconds each. it loops over and over. I ran this every night all night and all day at work every day for a little over a week and would just watch normal TV in the evenings.

It PROBABLY isn't necessary but there are still a lot of guys who know a lot about plasma technology that say it's still a good idea as it burns in all the plasma cells uniformly and also doubles as a stress test so that if the TV is working all night and all day long, chances are, if it's going to fail, it'll do so during the burn in period. that way you'll still have the box (save it for the first month in the attic if you can) and warranty stuff on hand should it not live through the stress/burn in test.

Right now, the panasonic TH-50PX75U is about the best deal there is. I paid $1300 shipped for mine from www.frys.com

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5184096;jsessionid=gqPOXc6TeslDd6IpDTICqQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The AVS forums owner thread for all 75U owners is roughly 5,550 people talking about how awesome it is and how few problems there are. I freaking searched like a mad man the whole week leading up to black friday. It seems you have to pay an arm and a leg for a TV to avoid problems as just about every owners thread has tons of people complaining about something. The panasonic thread was the only one almost totally lacking criticism.

• Members

Like everyone else said, burn-in is no longer a really big issue unless you abuse your set. I recently just finished running a a break-in DVD for my new plasma for about 125 hours which displays different colors and gradations full screen on a 16 hour loop (played while at work and in bed). It's recommended you do this for the first 100 hours or watch full screen or zoomed programming during this period. You do this because during the first 100 hours plasma's are more prone to image retention (which is temporary) and burn-in (which is highly unlikely unless abused).

• Members

i have burn in from the 4:3 content
my tv is from about 2005, panasonic viera
you can see it when the whole screen is white, dont notice it at all when its any other color
in fact whilst i think its probably been like it for quite some time, I have only ever noticed it twice

• Members

The degrading picture quality year after year and their life span only being 5 to 7 years is my major turn offs to the plasma screens. I prefer LCD's. IMO they are more proven to last and not degrade in picture quality.

• Members
It's not NECESSARY but it's reccomended by those in the know..

I bought a 50" Panasonic plasma back on this past black friday and used a free plasma burn in dvd.

Go here

http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm

Download the dvd iso file an use nero or whatever to burn it to either a blank dvd or SVCD if your player supports that format.

It will cycle through solid colors that fill the whole screen for about 15 or so seconds each. it loops over and over. I ran this every night all night and all day at work every day for a little over a week and would just watch normal TV in the evenings.

It PROBABLY isn't necessary but there are still a lot of guys who know a lot about plasma technology that say it's still a good idea as it burns in all the plasma cells uniformly and also doubles as a stress test so that if the TV is working all night and all day long, chances are, if it's going to fail, it'll do so during the burn in period. that way you'll still have the box (save it for the first month in the attic if you can) and warranty stuff on hand should it not live through the stress/burn in test.

Right now, the panasonic TH-50PX75U is about the best deal there is. I paid $1300 shipped for mine from
www.frys.com

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5184096;jsessionid=gqPOXc6TeslDd6IpDTICqQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The AVS forums owner thread for all 75U owners is roughly 5,550 people talking about how awesome it is and how few problems there are. I freaking searched like a mad man the whole week leading up to black friday. It seems you have to pay an arm and a leg for a TV to avoid problems as just about every owners thread has tons of people complaining about something. The panasonic thread was the only one almost totally lacking criticism.

That's actually pretty close to the TV I'm considering. The one I'm looking at is the panasonic PZ80U...

Glad to hear burn-in isn't a big issue.
Have you tried it with a PS3 or 360? How is it for gaming?

• Members

The degrading picture quality year after year and their life span only being 5 to 7 years is my major turn offs to the plasma screens. I prefer LCD's. IMO they are more proven to last and not degrade in picture quality.

5 to 7 years? where do you get this misinformation.

• Members

5 to 7 years? where do you get this misinformation.

Just what I've always read and heard from people that have owned them. I've never owned one personally.

A friend of mine bought one a few years ago and his picture quality is not close to what it was new. I guess he needs it serviced but IMO that's pretty lame to spend that much $$$ on a tv to have to have it serviced every few years.

• Members

FastRed - I just picked up the 50PZ85U a few days ago as well. How you liking your set?

It's amazing. I had about a dozen folks over for the superbowl and I'm the last of teh group to get an HDTV and everyone was saying how mine has a far superior picture quality. the color on mine is amazing.

Get one of the hdtv picture/color calibration dvd's. They're well worth it and beats paying some expensive tech to come calibrate your set.

A good calibration can make a world of difference.

• Members
Get one of the hdtv picture/color calibration dvd's. They're well worth it and beats paying some expensive tech to come calibrate your set.

A good calibration can make a world of difference.

Or just mooch the optimal settings that nerds post on a/v forums. :cool:

• Members

Just what I've always read and heard from people that have owned them. I've never owned one personally.

A friend of mine bought one a few years ago and his picture quality is not close to what it was new. I guess he needs it serviced but IMO that's pretty lame to spend that much $$$ on a tv to have to have it serviced every few years.

probably needed to be calibrated from day 1. mine still looks like the first day i brought it home. /shrug

• Members

Panasonic 42" Plasma with no burn in issues. I do notice some residual image retention when I turn off the BluRay or HDDVD players, but they are gone after power cycling the Plasma. I even did a bonehead thing on Christmas Eve and left a video on pause for 2 hours. You could see the pause bars on the screen. Power the display down, turned it back on 5 minutes later, and there were no bars to be seen. Plasmas deal with this problem much better than they used to, to the point now that it is not a problem with any of the recent model Plasmas.

Archived