NAD: Elmwood M90

Rayneman

• Members

So my Elmwood Modena 90 arrived today.

M90.jpg

Until Thursday last week I had heard of these, but never paid much attention. Somehow I ended up checking out some clips and some youtube videos and was blown away. As luck would have it (or unlucky to my bank account I suppose) there was a nearly brand new one for sale on The Gear Page. Friday, it was on its way. Buying amps based on internet clips and hype is weak, but I've done it alot, and have been disappointed many times. However, this is a kick-ass amp.

I've only been able to play around with it for a couple of hours, but its very nice. I am surprised more "brootalz" guys aren't all over these things. It seems to have a mixture of a bunch of things I like - its "tight" as in pretty immediate attack, its got a TON of gain and sustain...some compression, but yet it never sounds smeared-together. The clean can either stay clean until house shaking volume, or get pretty heavy with its boost. The amp has some pretty cool master 1 & master 2 volume switching coupled with switchable boots for each channel. I can't get a bad sound out of this thing.

This is what I thought my CAA OD100 SE+ was going to sound and feel like. This amp is FUN to play. Anyway, I'm stoked. In terms of the other higher-end amps I own:

Lightyears better clean and more gain/low end than my SLO (FX loop...the M90 has serial/parallel, mix...forgetaboutit!)

More gain and modern tones than my XTC, but no "Blue Channel." Much better suited to heavier rock and metal than the Bogner.

Probably less overall gain and "brutality" than my K-Tre, but its infinitely more versatile...ah who am I kidding, I think it beats the K-Tre soundly in everything.

All in all, it was an instant gratification amp in every way. Easy to dial, tons of great tones...EQ is crazy, it has EDGE and FAT knobs on the back that dramatically alter the high end/presence and low/low mids. Channel 2 has both a drive AND gain control.

It sounds awesome at lower volumes, but I can't say much about the band/live setting tones, that will come soon. If it rocks the loudness like it does reasonable volumes, this amp will be part of a killer live rig.

• Members

So you can basically get 4 channels out of it?

In terms of 4 very different gain settings, yes...EQ no. Two remote switchable volume settings as well...I've love this and wish more amps had this capability.

I've never had an amp with these tubes...KT88's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
:thu: I just got my Elmwood modena 60. I agree. I can't get a bad tone from it, more over, I am shocked at the versatility now available to me with out the complication of some crazy controller footswich or panel switcher that usually allows for this. Mine has the el-34's in it. I am wondering what life would be like for us to own both versions? We would probably have to go to rehab. LOL Anyways, CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW AMP. Say hello to your ELMO for me.

• Members

Nice amp...do you think it sounds similar to the Bogner in that it is low-mid voiced, or can you get a good deal of bite out of it as well?

By using the front panel EQ with the "Edge" and "Fat" controls on the back, I can dial in serious crunch/bite to the tone with the "Fat" off or very low and adding in the highs/high mid with the "Edge" control. Conversely, the opposite gets you that kind of creamy low-mid Bogner thing. The EQ on the amp is very responsive, really neat stuff!

• Members

By using the front panel EQ with the "Edge" and "Fat" controls on the back, I can dial in serious crunch/bite to the tone with the "Fat" off or very low and adding in the highs/high mid with the "Edge" control. Conversely, the opposite gets you that kind of creamy low-mid Bogner thing. The EQ on the amp is very responsive, really neat stuff!

Sounds like a really well thought out amp. I always thought that it would be great if an amp had sort of a low mid and high mid knob....so it's cool to hear that this amp basically does :). Hmm, I've been thinking about selling my SLO again...just too much treble man...hard to tame it even with tube changes...this might be the amp for me...and with more features...better clean, loop, etc. You'll have to let me know how you like it as time goes on...You were right on when you PM'ed awhile back about the differences between the SLO and OD100SE+.

• Members

Go to Elmwood's website...check out Angus Neal's clips on the two versions of the Modena head...
:thu:
:thu: I don't think I've heard a better voiced amp, and I've got a few nice ones and had a few others...seriously thinking of selling some to get one of these.

Thanks for the suggestion...I've heard the clips before from him, but needed the reminder to check 'em out again. Man, I can't even begin to imagine how huge a Modena would sound with my XTC. It definately reminds me of the thick sound I get out of my Bogner.

• Members

it's and awesome amp, very flexible with a ton of tone

Cool. Glad you have some clips in your sig that show it off a little more...mostly a lot of wanking, bluesy and classic rock demo's of the amp out there. Sounds great. Seems like it records well/would cut well in a mix.

• Members

Phade21 , are you considering a M90?

Yeah, I'm considering selling my SLO to fund one....which isn't an easy choice...especially since I can't demo one for myself beforehand. But, I love the big tone it has...and my SLO doesn't get warmed up till it's about half way up which ridicously loud...not to mention it's a treble monster.

• Members

how are you going to use it?

I play in heavy rock band. Sort of along the lines AIC/Helmet/Tool/Deftones...with more psychedelic influences in there. I also want something that will blend well with the Bogner XTC I have/not cover a lot of the same ground.

Archived