BURNING SMELL

bmast160

• Members

i just put in the replacement tubes for my crate v3112. replaced the el84s with jj's and the 3 12ax7s with tung sol, penta labs, and ehx. i called crate to make sure the amp doesnt need biasing after replacing power tubes and they said it doesnt need to be biased. so i replaced all the tubes...powered up...played a little bit and about a minute after playing i noticed a faint burining smell....its coming from the crate. i powered down immediately and havent turned on since....is this normal when switching tubes...they are all in correctly...i got the tubes from dougs tubes....any suggestions?

• Members

but they're supposed to be burned it...i think. it was very faint...but a definite smell....should i try to turn it on again?

even though they're burned in, they will still give off a smell for the first 10 minutes or so when you use them in your amp. If it's the smell of a burning circuit board or something, then you have a problem, but if it's a faint smell that's only close to the amp, I wouldn't worry. I enjoy the new tube smell :freak:

• Members

even though they're burned in, they will still give off a smell for the first 10 minutes or so when you use them in your amp. If it's the smell of a burning circuit board or something, then you have a problem, but if it's a faint smell that's only close to the amp, I wouldn't worry. I enjoy the new tube smell
:freak:

i think thats what it probably is...i assume if its a circuit board it would be a much stronger smell and smoke?....ive never changed the tubes so it was different to me tho. ill try to enjoy the smell...and sober up before driving

• Members

k just tried it again and looked thru the heat vent on top to look at the tubes and the tung sol 12ax7 in v1 isnt glowing but the penta labs 12ax7 in v2 is pretty bright and the ehx 12ax7 in v3 is glowing a little too. also when i play sometimes i hear a high pitched chirping sound...doesnt seem like its coming thru the speaker but more of from the inside of the amp....do you think a tube is microphonic or do you think a screw is loose or the cage around the el84s or something else??? i've never heard what a microphonic tube sounds like

• Members

houston, we have a problem
:wave:

i didnt think the 12ax7s were supposed to glow...this is from www.thetubestore.com

One other note about the construction of these tubes is they have filaments that are almost completely encased in the plate structure. They don't "light up" brightly when working properly.

is this just saying they are supposed to light but not bright?

• Members

they are indeed supposed to light up, or they arent working. they dont glow as bright as power tubes though

There are hundreds of 12AX7 variants that function in different ways. Some have exposed filament on the top and bottom of the plates that will glow, some are incased, and some literally flash like a halogen when first lit (SED Winged C comes to mind)

The amp wouldn't play at all if one preamp tube was not functioning.

Archived