EASY SPEAKER CHANGE

bmast160

• Members

im going to be changing my speaker in my crate v3112 to the tone tubby...anything to keep in mind when i do it? it has "removable spade clips" to connect the speaker...how exactly do i remove them from the speaker...do i just pull them off? by hand? or do i need pliers....im just nervous about breaking them...they look kinda fragile...they look like the clips in the attached photo

• Members

Just pull them off. If you're a panzy and it hurts your fingers too much, use a small pair of needle nose. They're not very fragile at all. Pay attention to how tight the spade clips secure themselves on the new speaker, sometimes they can be smaller, and need some needle nose manipulation. Or you could always just solder it with a 10 dollar radio shack iron.

• Members

Just make sure to grip the speaker terminal mounting plate with your other hand firmly before removing/attaching the female ends, and if necessary use a pair of needle nose or wire tool to be sure the connection is good and tight.

I just had to replace a mounting plate on one of my Fanes when the terminal itself broke free from both the mounting plate, and the wire that attaches it to the cone. :mad:

I rewired my new Lopo Sig. 4x12 cab with 16 ga. wire and push on connects like that to facilitate speaker swapping and it works like a charm. My 2x12 is set up the same way with 14 ga. hookup wire, and I converted my combo's speaker wiring to those ends as well.

Now all I have to do is unscrew the speakers, pull them out and install the ones I'm going to be using when I swap. It takes about 5 min, and no soldering iron necessary.

For the 4x12 I made two twisted pairs of wire to keep it neat and reduce electrical noise, attached the spades to the ends of the wire at each side, and made jumpers to go from one speaker terminal to the next as needed for different wiring schemes. The best thing is that it took me all of about 15 work time to make the whole set up, and I am no electrical engineer if you know what I mean. thu:

• Members

if you've got just one-- not much to worry about-- just make sure they're snug when you're done, and you can't be outa phase!

just one speaker....

if the spade clip isnt snug how should i tighten it...just clamp it with pliers and squeeze till its tight?

• Members

just one speaker....

if the spade clip isnt snug how should i tighten it...just clamp it with pliers and squeeze till its tight?

What I do is tighten it before slipping it on. Do it gently and just get it snug enough to fit good and tight. That way you're not stressing the terminal, and risking slipping and gashing your cone with pliers or possibly ripping the leads off the cone. :cop:

It's also just flat out easier too, way more ergonomic. :cool:

Archived