What gauge string if tuning down a whole step?

justcrash

• Members

My singer prefers to tune down a whoel step. Begrudgingly, I've accepted this, but I don't want a lot of flub and strings hanging off my neck. What gauge strings do you guys have that tune down and can I get the tension similar to what it is in standard E 440?

I've asked the same question a while back somewhere, and the response was rather variable. I'd go for 11-52. I accidently pull strings off the fretboard rather easily.

For comparison, I use 10-48 in E and 10-50 in Eb on 25.5? scaled guitars (or something along those lines).

Maybe you throw up some cheap strings to try out different gauges (high and low E might be enough), and when you've got it figured out, you will probably have to do a little setup anyway.

Then, you come back and tell me which strings you picked so I don't have to go through that. :wave::thu:

• Members

I've asked the same question a while back somewhere, and the response was rather variable. I'd go for 11-52. I accidently pull strings off the fretboard rather easily.

For comparison, I use 10-48 in E and 10-50 in Eb on 25.5? scaled guitars (or something along those lines).

Maybe you throw up some cheap strings to try out different gauges (high and low E might be enough), and when you've got it figured out, you will probably have to do a little setup anyway.

Then, you come back and tell me which strings you picked so I don't have to go through that.
:wave::thu:

Obviously the answer is going to be variable, especially w/o a starting point. Even at standard tuning people are all over the place for gauges, so it would only make sense that other tunings would be the same thing.

Archived