Dimarzio Tone Zone into a Basswood Ibanez 421 into a Cobra/5150/Dragon

Chrisjd

• Members

you get your blackmore yet? you like?

Yes I did, and I love it :love:. It seriously sounds amazing.

I've been meaning to post a NAD thread for a while (I've had it for about a week), but I haven't really gotten a good recorded tone yet (not that I've tried that hard), and I'm not sure what song to record. I'll probably post up a review this weekend, though.

• Members

Yes I did, and I love it
:love:
. It seriously sounds amazing.

I've been meaning to post a NAD thread for a while (I've had it for about a week), but I haven't really gotten a good recorded tone yet (not that I've tried that hard), and I'm not sure what song to record. I'll probably post up a review this weekend, though.

You like it more than teh mark.

• Members
You like it more than teh mark.

Yeah, I think so. It sounds fuller and meatier, and I like the leads better. The Mark was aggressive as hell, but it got kind of harsh and thin, and I just got utterly sick of tweaking it constantly. The Blackmore has more br00talz and pretty much sounds great wherever you put the knobs.

• Members

i have a Tone Zone in a mahogany RG3120 Prestige tuned to D standard despite the hate ive read about his pup in mahogany i quite like it with my Cobra w/V30 Framus CS212 cab)

Dimarzio pretty much nailed the description of this pickup.

IMO i gives the cobra a very nice thick mid/rockier feel compared to say a Duncan JB which is more piercing

• Members

Another alternative which I have switched to is the Breed.. Tone Zone-like EQ curve, but just better p'up than the TZ.. I used to be a die hard Tone zone user and the Breed and actually the Air Zone as well, have all the qualities the TZ has but improves upon it, by basically having slightly lower output which give the Breed and AZ a more organic feeling than the TZ is capable of....

i don't agree with this part. even thou it's high output, is not the biggest output out there. it will do clean, fat, mid heavy cleans in humbucker mode (way better than EMG's, and other humbucker i've had), if you split the coils (like i do) you will get a SUPER NICE clean, scooped, lots of highs and bass (sound completely different from humbucker mode, almost the opposite). Humbucker is tight, fat with relaxed highs. Split coil mode is jangly, loose, bright and scooped (not completely scooped, but way less mids than humbucker). A perfect comination for me.

• Members

i have a Tone Zone in a mahogany RG3120 Prestige tuned to D standard despite the hate ive read about his pup in mahogany i quite like it with my Cobra w/V30 Framus CS212 cab)

Dimarzio pretty much nailed the description of this pickup.

IMO i gives the cobra a very nice thick mid/rockier feel compared to say a Duncan JB which is more piercing

I've considered a Tone Zone in one of my Mahoganys. Do you feel it's more of a Rhythm or Lead PUP?

• Members

I've considered a Tone Zone in one of my Mahoganys. Do you feel it's more of a Rhythm or Lead PUP?

i would say both. BUT it depends on the type of sound you are going for. for a classic/harc rock it great for leads AND rhythm. I love the sound of my leads using my guitar with TZ, it's very fluid and full sounding. Sounds heavy too, big sound.

But if you are going for a super tight/heavy death metal type of sound, it's a lead pickup, rhythm will not sound as tight/aggresive as an EMG.

it's a tight pickup but not THAT tight.

• Members

i don't agree with this part. even thou it's high output, is not the biggest output out there. it will do clean, fat, mid heavy cleans in humbucker mode (way better than EMG's, and other humbucker i've had), if you split the coils (like i do) you will get a SUPER NICE clean, scooped, lots of highs and bass (sound completely different from humbucker mode, almost the opposite). Humbucker is tight, fat with relaxed highs. Split coil mode is jangly, loose, bright and scooped (not completely scooped, but way less mids than humbucker). A perfect comination for me.

Well, I can say I disagree with the clean in humbucking mode. It really pushes the input hard. Compared to say the SUper Distortion, I found the TOne ZOne is much hotter and more output, it reminded me a lot of the X2N in power, or at least percieved power..It may "spec" out to be less output, but the abundance of mids and lows really hit the amp hard.. And Of course it will do clean in split mode. MOst high put humbuckers do pretty well in split mode. I used it in split mode as well and it is nice, but not everyone uses or has guitars that are set-up to do that.

• Members

I have a tone zone and it is a great pickup when used with an overdriven/distorted amp, it really comes alive and has a very clear but agressive tone to it.

Cleans sound kind of hollow and spanky to my ears. Just doesn't have the goods in my opinion, if you use it thru an overdriven amp and turn down the volume it can get cleaner, but a dirty clean and it sounds decent.

One thing with the tone zone that I've found is that it can sound worlds different depending on how close or far away it is from the strings, I actually like to set it rather low and it kind of takes away alot of the plunk you get from the pick and kind of smooths the tone out while retaining most of the characteristics.

My favorite combo with it is the Humbucker from Hell as it has gorgeous cleans and great for fluid leads. set the HFM alittle on the high side (as it has very low output) and the TZ a bit lower and it sounds great, they also work very well while used in tandem.

• Members

I have a Tone Zone in an RG421... I haven't touched that guitar in years, trying to sell it. I'll hook it up this weekend to see how it compares through my Savage, maybe that'll help.

yes please do and give me a little review asap!

Archived