Finally buying new recording gear.

paranormal5150

• Members

So, I'm about to buy a Mac and some recording gear. On my pc ive been using the same program since like 6 years ago. its really old. I'm looking at cubase. I don't know much about this stuff is why im asking. I'll be running an electronic drumkit and micing my guitar cab and running the bass straight in. Vocals with a condenser mic which im about to get another one. I also know nothing about a mac either. I just always wanted one and wanted to try something different so I don't know what program would be best with the mac. Im still putting back checks and will be gone to the police academy for 3 months and won't really have many bills while im sent there so when I come back I will have all the money for this. I get paid for 40 hours a week while im there. And anyone whos computer savy maybe could help me choose which mac I want. I kindof like the mac mini since I could use my pc monitor.

• Members

if you want a desktop mac then buy the mini unless you want to shell out the $$ for one of the towers.

Ive recorded using the mac pro, macbook pro, and macbook.

I didnt really experience much of a difference

Macs are great for recording though! Although you may want to hold off on buying the recording software.

Just mess around with garageband for a while and if you like it then id suggest getting logic express just because that way you can ease your way into the new program instead of buying cubase and having to learn everything.

Plus, if you start some projects in garageband and then later buy logic, you can just open up the GB files in logic

• Members

Old time daw recorder here. Trust me it is waaaaaaay easier now then in the old daze. And when I say old days I mean just 5 years ago. I remember sonny when they first came out with USB interfaces and midi interfaces. my DAW: ImacDV 40gig harddrive, 512ram MOTU Digital performer 2.5- macOS 9 -midisport 2x2- Korg X5-,protools free-BitHeadz RetroAE-Onkyo stereo amp with Tannoy Proto J monitors. My system still works great even though it is very very old.

• Members

Old time daw recorder here. Trust me it is waaaaaaay easier now then in the old daze. And when I say old days I mean just 5 years ago. I remember sonny when they first came out with USB interfaces and midi interfaces. my DAW: ImacDV 40gig harddrive, 512ram MOTU Digital performer 2.5- macOS 9 -midisport 2x2- Korg X5-,protools free-BitHeadz RetroAE-Onkyo stereo amp with Tannoy Proto J monitors. My system still works great even though it is very very old.

Seriously you are recording on a machine with only 40 gigs HD and 512 ram? There's no way you could run any serious VST's on that.

• Members

to the people who were saying its easy.... i understand that.. its just i dont know enough about it to know what I need. Theres all kinds of stuff out there. Plus I've never really used a mac so I didn't know if there was software that worked better with it than a pc. I might not go with the mini since you say its not that great. The only thing is I don't like how the IMac has the monitor and computer in the same thing. Because sometimes I like to upgrade monitors without upgrading the computer and ive had monitors that after a few years get burn in. Although I think i'll go with a macbook pro over an Imac. I wish that apple would have more options. I do know a guy that records music with his mac mini though and he showed it to me. It looked cool although I didnt have time to mess with it. They are upgradable to 2 gigs of ram which is what he has. The processor seemed decent for me. I don't need nothing just mindblowing or anything. My pc's processor and ram does everything right when I click it. I rarely have to wait for anything to load up.

• Members

Is there any specific reason you want to go with mac? If you wanted to run Logic or PT, I could see that, but for sonor, nuendo, etc you can really just get away with a pc (it will be a lot cheaper).

Also, you know that you will need an interface between the mic and the computer- don't know what your budget is or how crazy you want to get with this but if all you're recording live is vocals and guitar, then you only need a simple 2 channel interface. I would recommend a line 6 toneport ux2. My friend has one and for the price it is a pretty ridiculous piece of gear.

As for software, depends on if you decide to run your mac, and how much you want to spend and what your needs are. I'll give you some +/- from my experiences

mac:

logic express- really nice daw, pretty cheap, I like it a lot. You could buy a used logic pro 7 but if you don't need all the crazy synth and plugins, then I say forget it.

pc or mac:

pro tools- I love editing in protools and the overall style. Here's what sucks about it- it's a lot more expensive than the other things, and you have to use their hardware with it (you could buy and m box and that would be interface + daw so you would be all set). The good thing is that now they support vst plugins- the old LE which I have does not support vst which really really blows b/c there are a lot of fun, FREE vst plugs out there that you will eventually end up wanting to get your hands on.

-Another thing is that I've heard that midi sucks with PT, but I've never used it- also, the software instruments don't come with it which is a big bummer (like I said, it's more expensive than everything else and not necessarily better). Also, PT limits you to 24 tracks which blows if you're doing a whole band recording with vocals etc- you might not think you need the tracks but sometimes it's nice to have them.

Cakewalk - I don't own it but my friend does- I personally don't like the interface as much and editing is not as easy for me (could be b/c I am used to the others). Pros about it are they give u a lot of free synth and plugs to use, it's relatively easy to drums in it as well. My friend uses it with the gearbox with very nice results (but note that you will need a separate interface- probably end up spending around $650 total).

As far as computer, macs are really nice- I prefer them, but beware- getting free vst plugs for mac is a huge pain in the balls. Also, they are more expensive and unless you plan on running ridiculous amounts of tracks with plugs on them, I would say go used or just get a macbook (not pro) or mini.

Hope this helps- I'm kind of upset cause UPS did not come today- I'm waiting for them to bring me one of these bad mofos:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php

• Members

yeah i already own a toneport. Well, the reason for a mac is just because its something new and ive never really tried it. I've always thought they looked cool. Not really just for recording music but multiple things. Ive got a few friends with them and they seem to be switched to mac over pc for good now. I just want to try one out really. And I want it to be my music computer.

Archived