TUNG ME

bmast160

• Members

What do you think of tung sol reissue tubes. I know some of you hate them. I tried one in the V1 and a Penta Labs in V2 of a crate v3112T and it seemed like there were good things about both. Seemed like the tung sol was a little more clear but it seemed like it was lacking something...seemed like the tung sol was better in the low bass but the penta labs was better in the mid and high...seemed like the tung sol was lacking some sort of sweetness(for lack of a better word) that the penta labs had...might be the amp or the speaker but wondering what others think...

• Members

I use a tung sol in V1 with chinese in the others. This tube works best in v1 I'm pretty sure. In fact, when I switched it around and put it in v3, the amp was totally different in a bad way. Just stick it in v1 and it's good

• Members

I use a tung sol in V1 with chinese in the others. This tube works best in v1 I'm pretty sure. In fact, when I switched it around and put it in v3, the amp was totally different in a bad way. Just stick it in v1 and it's good

v3 is the phase inverter so anything there is not gonna make a big difference in sound...pretty sure the v1 and v2 tube changes affect the sound much more...

anyone else have comments on this tube?

• Members

v3 is the phase inverter so anything there is not gonna make a big difference in sound...pretty sure the v1 and v2 tube changes affect the sound much more...

anyone else have comments on this tube?

ooh.. don't believe THAT.. phase inverter is pretty importante! can change the whole feel of your amp in some cases! not saying in your instance in general-- but it IS an important tube in the chain, sonically!

• Members

ooh.. don't believe THAT.. phase inverter is pretty importante! can change the whole feel of your amp in some cases! not saying in your instance in general-- but it IS an important tube in the chain, sonically!

gotcha. anyone else have anything on tung sol reissues

• Members

I think they sound all right.. They do tend to go microphonic rather quickly, or that has been my experience.. Overall, I didnt find them to be too special.. I will say they do seem to bring a little "3d" to the overall tone when used in the V1, but YMMV on that..

• Members

I think they sound all right.. They do tend to go microphonic rather quickly, or that has been my experience.. Overall, I didnt find them to be too special.. I will say they do seem to bring a little "3d" to the overall tone when used in the V1, but YMMV on that..

yeah! thats what i was hearing too. i like 3d-highfi-clarity of them but it seems like they're missing some sweetness almost like some frequencies that other tubes normally project were missing...mysterious:evil:

• Members
tung sol 5881 =
:love:

and I use the 12ax7s in all of my amps.. but thats about to change because I just scored 5 RCAs and 1 Telefunken

5881's cant replace 12ax7s tho right? my amps just use el84s and 12ax7s

• Members

I had a tung sol 12ax7 in v1 of my marshall for a while and didn't care for it...switched that back to a JJ.

I think I still have the tung sol in V2 and my amp has sounded killer lately.

yeah thats where i put it too. i have the penta labs in v1, tungsol in v2, and ehx in v3(wanna try a sovtek lps here sometime)

• Members

I packed the preamp of my 5150 with Tung Sols. Verdict is still out. I realliked one in V1. But all 5 positions is mental. Sounds a little extra saturated like boosted or something, but now doesn't sound good boosted.

I guess it all depends on the amp and your ear.

Archived