opinions please

Kiss A Pistol

• Members

The song is going to be a filler track on my album. An ambient sound collage type track.

Anyway, I had lots of trouble making the vocals fit in the mix. I tried a million different takes, pannings, and reverbs. Nothing seemed to sound how I pictured it in my head. It didnt sound right purely as an instrumental either.

Maybe I am just being too critical. This mix sounded best to me. Before I finalize the song, I'd like to get your thoughts on the song. the song in general, your thoughts on the mix, and if you think the vocals are fitting to the song/mood. thanks.

Song is "Autumn Curse". I put it on my myspace + soundclick pages. Links are in sig.

• Members

The track sounded pretty good to me. The vocals I thought blended well in the overall mix. Had a nice Brian Eno kind of ambience but it seemed a bit too repetitive for its almost 2 minute length (although in the context of an album that may be an unfair criticism). I noticed that you listed the song as "alternative grunge". Might want to change the music genre.

• Members

Originally posted by catdaddy

The track sounded pretty good to me. The vocals I thought blended well in the overall mix. Had a nice Brian Eno kind of ambience but it seemed a bit too repetitive for its almost 2 minute length (although in the context of an album that may be an unfair criticism). I noticed that you listed the song as "alternative grunge". Might want to change the music genre.

Thanks for the comment. and genre doesnt matter right now, I am just putting that song up there for a couple days to get some last minute feedback before I send the album tracks to get mastered.

• Members

Very spacey feeling to the song, lots of reverb - I like reverb BTW.

The flute sound is very cool - is that a flute?

The vocals are sitting nicely tucked away under the music just giving the subtle impression of singing.

Good filler tune.......:):D:):D

• Members

Listening. . . the first part is irritatingly repetitive. . . oh, was that it?

I guess I find it irritatingly repetitive. I have to say that I didn't like this. Let me listen again. . . I have to say that I think you might be right in thinking this didn't work out. I don't think the vocal adds anything interesting. It's definitely filler.

If the vocal was more up in the mix it might be easier to judge but at the current levels I could hardly tell it was there. I guess that's probably the point but also maybe part of the problem.

• Members

The first time, I just went and listened to Autumn Curse cold. And I didn't like it. Too FM, not enough variation/contrast, not enough ideas, too long (at two minutes!) etc, etc.

Since I really liked Voices of the Dead, I gave it another try. To simulate the CD filler experience, I listened to the other 3 MySpace tracks (in order) and then listened to Autumn Curse again. This time I thought it worked well - Adrift had already gotten me in a pretty mellow mood and Autumn Curse just kind of slid by in a relatively pleasant way.

So I think if you pop it on the end as a hidden track or something people will enjoy it, but if they come into it expecting a full song or some kind of bonus track they will probably be disappointed.

Good luck with the mastering.

• Members

Originally posted by JSimms

I am intrigued by what has been said about your music so far. I would love to listen, but the My Space Gods are giving me a "loading error" every time I try to view your page.
:confused:

I'll check back.

I put it on my soundclick page as well. I will keep that song up for a couple more days.

and thanks for all the comments, good and bad. It is nice to get some outside feedback. As far as the length and repetiveness which was commented on...I felt the synth effect was interesting and unique enough to be repetitive and not get annoying (for a filler track), and I thought close to 2 minutes was a good break from heavy guitars and drums. I think I did a good job creating the ambience and atmosphere of Autumn though. :D

• Members

First off, before I listened to the song I was thinking why would anyone have a song on their cd just for filler. I wasn't sure what to expect or if it is "just filler" why would I listen to it.

But after listen to it I see what you really meant by this. I think this song would be best suited at the begininng of the cd, sort of a warm up for things to come. Or at the very end of the disc to sorta calms things down. just my 2 cents.

• Members

i don't know what to say, really. i don't feel like i listened to a song here. it was ambient and cool, but i don't even think it warrants too much of an analysis. (that's not to say it's bad - i dug the cycling theme)

i'm just curious to see what type of CD this is going to be on. you have it listed as "alternative: grunge". as far as i know, people in grunge absolutely HATE keyboards and any keyboard sounds. having listened to your other tune, "haunted romantic," it really seems out of context and i'm not sure how many of your listeners are going to appreciate it. when i buy a hard rock, that's the last thing i want to hear in between songs or as a song - filler or not.

this piece seems more appropriate for your 'something else i'm capable of as a musician' stock than your next album. (if, indeed, the next album will be gritty and organic like grunge)

in and of itself, if you really want an opinion, i like the vocals a lot in this: i love where they are and i love how they sound. there's something amateur in the production that i can't get a handle on yet. i'm going to check this out again tomorrow and see if i have a better idea.

btw, i liked 'haunted romantic' and 'voices of the dead', but i don't share the same opinion as steve about the drum tracking....i found the bass drum to be tremendously thin and seemingly clicking against the bass guitar track. those two need to be married a bit better. (i dig your drummer, also)

• Members

Originally posted by bluesway

i don't know what to say, really. i don't feel like i listened to a song here. it was ambient and cool, but i don't even think it warrants too much of an analysis. (that's not to say it's bad - i dug the cycling theme)

i'm just curious to see what type of CD this is going to be on. you have it listed as "alternative: grunge". as far as i know, people in grunge absolutely HATE keyboards and any keyboard sounds. having listened to your other tune, "haunted romantic," it really seems out of context and i'm not sure how many of your listeners are going to appreciate it. when i buy a hard rock, that's the last thing i want to hear in between songs or as a song - filler or not.

this piece seems more appropriate for your 'something else i'm capable of as a musician' stock than your next album. (if, indeed, the next album will be gritty and organic like grunge)

in and of itself, if you really want an opinion, i like the vocals a lot in this: i love where they are and i love how they sound. there's something amateur in the production that i can't get a handle on yet. i'm going to check this out again tomorrow and see if i have a better idea.

btw, i liked 'haunted romantic' and 'voices of the dead', but i don't share the same opinion as steve about the drum tracking....i found the bass drum to be tremendously thin and seemingly clicking against the bass guitar track. those two need to be married a bit better. (i dig your drummer, also)

To make a long story short, the original & only copy of the studio recording of that track accidently got ruined. I quickly re-recorded on my computer recently and was unsure about how it came out, so that is why I was looking for constructive criticism on a "filler" track.

"Haunted Romantic" and "Voices of The Dead" are new demos that are not on the same album as that filler track. So they follow a completely different concept. This album coming out soon was recorded in Summer of 2004. It is a artsy concept album. It has a atmospheric nature-like mood throughout the album, and purposely sharply shifts moods throughout the album. I'd like to think it all blends through the album concept though. I call my band a "grunge" band but I guess that is not too accurate, my music contains many different sounds and moods overall.

I will probably put up some Into the Dusk recordings when I get them back from mastering soon. You would be able to get a better idea of that album in general then.

thanks for listening.

• Members

Originally posted by Geno_xl

First off, before I listened to the song I was thinking why would anyone have a song on their cd just for filler. I wasn't sure what to expect or if it is "just filler" why would I listen to it.

But after listen to it I see what you really meant by this. I think this song would be best suited at the begininng of the cd, sort of a warm up for things to come. Or at the very end of the disc to sorta calms things down. just my 2 cents.

I agree with the above suggestion......warm up or ending track...

ido

:):D:):D

Archived